Does this Telebird need a Vibrola?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    If you are going to install a vibrato system, at least, choose one that works.

Personally, I would go the HarrySeven route with a Fender Floating tailpiece. (Jazzmaster/Jaguar.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    paulnb57 said:
    mrkb said:
    Like the black oiled finish on that. How was it done?
    I believe it was sprayed without any grain filling by the look of it.
    Halfords Satin Black, no primer or grain filler
    Breaking the law, breaking the law!

Why is Rob Chapman holding up Halfords? Are they the new UK guitar builder?
    Greeeeeeetings!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Well, if I wanted a trem/vibrato for my own use, I would pick the Vibrola every time.  Matched with a standard (cheap is fine) roller bridge they are simple, reliable, low maintenance, controllable and sound great too. 

I've had and fitted pretty much all types of trem over the years - Floyds, Fender floating, Fender blocked, Bigsby, etc, etc.  The vibrola, in my view, works the best.  Oh, and the short ones work just as good as the long ones - it's the same spring.

(and...having lit blue touchpaper, retires immediately  :)   )   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Well, if I wanted a trem/vibrato for my own use, I would pick the Vibrola every time.  Matched with a standard (cheap is fine) roller bridge they are simple, reliable, low maintenance, controllable and sound great too. 

I've had and fitted pretty much all types of trem over the years - Floyds, Fender floating, Fender blocked, Bigsby, etc, etc.  The vibrola, in my view, works the best.  Oh, and the short ones work just as good as the long ones - it's the same spring.

(and...having lit blue touchpaper, retires immediately  :)   )   
    Have you tried a jazzmaster set up
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited April 2023

(and...having lit blue touchpaper, retires immediately     )   
    Have you tried a jazzmaster set up
    Apols for the delay - it didn't give me a notification so I've only just seen your reply.

And yes, I have.  And yes, I was very pleasantly surprised. 

The only thing I would say is that the Vibrola is much, much simpler to install - no routing or anything - it just screws onto the top. 
    I have somewhere a photo of both installations if I can find them.  But yes - they perform well :)

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676

Personally, I would go the HarrySeven route with a Fender Floating tailpiece. (Jazzmaster/Jaguar.) 
    Doesn't seem to bother this guy ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766

Thats lovely.

:-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 428

He's only got the top 3 strings going into the vibrato unit (you can see on the photo 1m 17s into the video). 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    longjaw said:

He's only got the top 3 strings going into the vibrato unit (you can see on the photo 1m 17s into the video). 
    Great spot @longjaw !!! Maybe that's the way to go with the much maligned vibrola ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom