Electric Vs Acoustic...

NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
edited September 2013 in Guitar
Just wondering how many of us mainly electric players also do a decent amount of acoustic playing?

Me? 15 Electrics and currently one acoustic (Yamaha F310). Keep telling myself I'll pay more acoustic and work up a gig worthy set-list but i'm always drawn back to overdrive and solo-ing!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74041
    I mostly play acoustic out of the house now. Mostly electric at home.

I have four electric guitars, three acoustics and one which is somewhere in the middle - it looks more like an electric but works better as an electro-acoustic.

When I play I always seem to try to make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic and an acoustic sound like an electric... or both at the same time :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8068
    I play either acoustic guitar or electric bass (accompanying acoustic guitar) live,

I do have an electric and a very nice AC15 but rarely play with either.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    I play both about 50/50. At home, I tend not to use a pick; I often play acoustic in alternate tunings (DADGAD, dropped D and CFCCGD) but almost always play electric in standard tuning - though I play slide in (generally) open G.

Live (and it has been many years since I played out) I've only ever played electric and almost always use/used a pick.

I have four electrics and two acoustics (one steel string, one nylon). If I were adding guitars, I'd probably want a 12 string acoustic and a resonator in preference to more electrics.....
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3035
    Niallmo said:
    Just wondering how many of us mainly electric players also do a decent amount of acoustic playing?

Me? 15 Electrics and currently one acoustic (Yamaha F310). Keep telling myself I'll pay more acoustic and work up a gig worthy set-list but i'm always drawn back to overdrive and solo-ing!
    Haven't got quite as many electrics but yes, basically I'm in the same place as you. Even got a Yamaha acoustic
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I play electric, acoustic and electric bass. Probably a 60/30/10 split. Band duties are electric and sometimes electric bass, acoustic is purely for myself.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Electric 90% of the time the rest acoustic . I would like to play more acoustic , but I don't get enough time to play either though
  • martmart Frets: 5212
    I'm probably about 60:40 electric to acoustic when playing at home, and 30:20:50 electric to acoustic to bass when I'm gigging. I can never motivate myself to practice bass at home, even though that's what I'm called on to play most of the time. :(

At a gig last night I saw a guy playing a Tele with a piezo pickup, and was really impressed. I can see a hybrid like that featuring in my future!
  • I've never owned an acoustic I've liked. But I would like to!

Alas the one I want used to belong to @Paul_C and it was a little parlour that was very easy to play.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RichRich Frets: 18
    I've got an acoustic primarily because it's nice to just pick up and strum when you feel like it. Lots of my favourite songwriters say that acoustics are great for writing on too, but I've never really felt that.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

100% electric.

I don't own/have never owned an acoustic.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11492
    tFB Trader
    I often use my deep bodied Ibanez Artcore semi as an acoustic at home ... quite loud really. Gave my son the Ovation bowl back I had ... so seldom ever play 'proper' acoustic, and when I do it's almost always in tunings on borrowed instruments.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3639
    I have a half decent acoustic with a bridge/piezo pickup. If stage space allows I like to have it for one or two songs to change the texture. I sometimes pick it up at home and enjoy some old Eagles, CSN&Y or James Taylor stuff but mainly I use electric guitars. I have a hankering for a really nice 'buy it for keeps' acoustic and there is a Martin D28 near me for silly money atm. I have resisted going to investigate it all weekend so far! Hopefully it's a dog and I wont be upset.