Archtop players?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rogdrogd Frets: 1555

I hope this link works OK.
    An interesting video about James D'Aquisto making an archtop.
    D'Aquisto was John D'Anglico's apprentice in New York.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    ALR said:
    There are some lovely looking archtop electrics! I was originally wondering if there were any *acoustic* archtop players (hence me posting in this forum). A week and a bit after I posted I'm wondering if I really am the only one?
    Well no, as I said above, I have one of these;

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/the-loar-lh-300-vs

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
    I love this gig David Rawlings played with Gillian Welch, his archtop sounds so good as an accompanying instrument to Gillian’s J-50
    https://youtu.be/9eF7gywHMxw
  • ALRALR Frets: 143
    Well I've tried a good half hour of searching and I just cannot find any Galli Flats here in the UK, looks like it will be back to Daddario Flat Tops at the next change. 
    mhep mhep mhep!
    Thankyou @Tannin ;

I've ordered some 11-50s from Lord Of The Strings. Will post an update once they've arrived from the Netherlands and I've had chance to try them.
    mhep mhep mhep!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5644
    Cheers mate. I bet your order (today) gets to you (in the UK) before my order (about 5 days ago) gets to me here in Oz. :) Mind you, I ordered a couple of things that were out of stock, so it won't even leave for another week or so. That's OK, I have other strings to use first.

Glad you could track some down and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    edited May 2023
    I have a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz in a dark red translucent colour, the feed back can be quite fun.
    I was quite surprised by how different flat wound strings sound. I then tried them on my telecaster, that did seem weird.

Looks a lot like this one Peerless Gigmaster Jazz | Guitars 'n Jazz (guitarsnjazz.com)

Just and update that my Galli flatwounds arrived on Wednesday, having been ordered the previous Friday - not bad.

I've fitted them this afternoon, and my 10 minute appraisal so far is that I really like them, instantly better than the Daddario Falt Tops I've been using the for last couple of years. I'm planning on putting some heavy practice in over the next month, so I'll come back and comment again when I'm more used to them. Thanks again @Tannin ;
    mhep mhep mhep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5644
    Amen Brother ALR, happy to Spread the Good Word. :)

My Lord of the Strings order shipped today - pretty good going given the out of stocks.