Pixies

What's Hot
JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
I was into them from the almost the start, still got the first hairy back EP on vinyl and most of the rest .Still got two tickets and a poster from Athens 1989 which cost about £6 pp.
Better than Nirvana. Discuss...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Much better than Nirvana, but very patchy. The good stuff was fantastic the rest was pretty dreadful. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1776
    Loved em, saw them live more than any other band, but thats cos i was of the age when they were doing student unions etc.
    Great guitar sound imho. 
    They were not great live tbh. Worth seeing for sure, but didnt leave me blown away live vs recordings. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    Love them probably my all time favorite band. Saw them with my 18 year old daughter in Cardiff recently. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    They were one of those bands I read a lot about, how amazing they were, how influential etc.  I eventually bought a compilation album... and didn't like it.  I can't honestly say what I didn't like, it was such a long time ago.
  • A few good songs. Quite a few less interesting songs.

Lead guitar style that couldn’t be much further away from what I like.

But, yeah, some decent songs.
    Is any decent student disco complete without Debaser?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 273
    Pixies were part of my teens & I think they fit into that cultural time (late 80s/90s) quite nicely but taken now it is a bit more jarring. I do think if you want to access them it would be better by album than compilation. They did move through different styles & production levels. E.g. Doolittle is a nice album which has virtually no filler

I’ve never heard a blur/oasis style argument about the Pixies before. A lot of bands cite them for influencing their style. Hey for example, stop-start, quiet to loud, nice lick or two. I do like Joey Santiago’s playing. 

They played Murrayfield in 2005 where I saw them and fulfilled an ambition as I thought Kim Deal & Black Francis would never agree to play again but they reformed for that tour. It was great to hear them live. Got the CD of the gig too :)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I saw them in 1991?I think in Manchester at the GMex, they were brilliant and it was a rawkus gig, They were on for about 2 hours and it never felt too long.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    It's not a competition and not fair to compare Pixies to Nirvana or The Breeders. Three fantastic outfits, each of their own time in their own sonic space. Personally I find the grunge link a bit overblown, apart from Gigantic and Gouge Away. But Pixies did have a way of encapsulating entire band's future careers in a song. Joey Santiago plays a mean guitar - check out a 1989 gig (I think) where Joey's rig is Les Paul into a Peavey Bandit. Awesome.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    edited May 2023
    I like them.

I discovered them post Nirvana. I think I still prefer Nirvana.

My eldest daughter (12) just discovered Where Is My Mind? via a YT video.

I played her Surfer Rosa and Bosa Nova, the two albums I have. She liked them. 

I just asked and she prefers them to Nirvana.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1862
    They’re more alive than Nirvava - and different. And anyway, Kurt was emulating Pixies when he wrote Teen Spirit. Saw them live last year and they were good. Efficient, and with a boatload of hits. Crowd loved them. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652

I was a massive fan until they split in 1993. From Come on Pilgrim to Trompe le Monde there are some monster tracks. I haven't got into the recent albums but then I'm 30 years older and my tastes have changed. 

As others have said, it's not a competition but for me Pixies V Nirvana? Pixies, hands down.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    Kilgore said:

I was a massive fan until they split in 1993. From Come on Pilgrim to Trompe le Monde there are some monster tracks. I haven't got into the recent albums but then I'm 30 years older and my tastes have changed. 

As others have said, it's not a competition but for me Pixies V Nirvana? Pixies, hands down.
    The recent albums are mixed some really good stuff some not up to the standard of their earlier stuff.  I read a review about one of the newer albums which said there is a lot worse you could be listening to than the 5th best pixies album and I agree with that.  I'm also a big fan of some of the frank black solo stuff, although much of it was technically the pixies without Kim Deal.

Like the breeders too not quite as good but some really nice stuff.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    munckee said:
    Kilgore said:

The recent albums are mixed some really good stuff some not up to the standard of their earlier stuff.  I read a review about one of the newer albums which said there is a lot worse you could be listening to than the 5th best pixies album and I agree with that.  I'm also a big fan of some of the frank black solo stuff, although much of it was technically the pixies without Kim Deal.

Like the breeders too not quite as good but some really nice stuff.
    I agree about  Frank's solo stuff. I had the first four albums, some real gems on them and definitely underrated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13904
    Philly_Q said:
    They were one of those bands I read a lot about, how amazing they were, how influential etc.  I eventually bought a compilation album... and didn't like it.  I can't honestly say what I didn't like, it was such a long time ago.
    Agree.  I was drawn in by Velouria and didn't like much else.  Never understood the fuss.