Did Weller hit his peak here?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 122
    He’s on a recent episode of Mastertapes on BBC Sounds, really interesting insight into his current thinking. He wrote some great songs on that old Ovation acoustic! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1199
    For me, Weller hit his peak with the This is the Modern World album, which is the only Jam album I still listen to. After 1977 he got a little too clever and knowing for me. I hated the Style Council, and I don't like much of his solo stuff. 

I guess I'm not really a fan, but the first two Jam albums had all the raw excitement and energy a young would-be punk wanted, and that has stuck with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    I think he probably was peaking as a solo artist around this time. Heavy Soul was decent, Heliocentric mainly there and then the argument for a strong album gets harder. Illumination onwards I could probably cherry pick the good stuff and make 1 or 2 albums. 

But, he’s still enjoying making music by all accounts and people listen and want to see him.

I also think he’s got to get kudos for successfully leading three separate bands, and quite different in style. Not many artists can compare with that.

Whilst I don’t listen to his newer stuff he was one of my favourite artists and an influence on my playing. He’s got a great voice, a decent guitarist and written some belting tunes. He’s also borrowed quite a few as well.  ;)
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6596
    Sound Affects was his peak.

Style Council had a few good tunes but overall were a bad idea from someone determined to show he was moving on. 

Solo? Mostly leaves me cold. Even the songs I like - undeniably decent tunes - seem to have something about them that I don’t like, that I can’t quite put my finger on. His solo bands never seem inspired to me, either.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    I was maybe 13 when Stanley Road came out. It's his best work imo, but I would say that as I was 13...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9714
    After all these years, with a wide musical taste, The Jam are still no.1 for me...

Lyrically, I still think some of Weller's music is unsurpassed.

I was fortunate to see The Jam live 4 times... they remain one of the most amazing, spiritual experiences I've ever taken part in.

Weller's recent solo stuff can be an acquired taste, and I'm not super keen on some of it.

'True Meanings' (mainly acoustic) though is one of my favourites. There is some awesome stuff on this album...

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    edited May 2023
    MrSwanson said:
    Randomly appeared outside his house last week whilst visiting London, was a bit of a shock to see him in the garden 
    To what would you compare the state of his garden? 
    After all these years, with a wide musical taste, The Jam are still no.1 for me...

Lyrically, I still think some of Weller's music is unsurpassed.

I was fortunate to see The Jam live 4 times... they remain one of the most amazing, spiritual experiences I've ever taken part in.

Weller's recent solo stuff can be an acquired taste, and I'm not super keen on some of it.

'True Meanings' (mainly acoustic) though is one of my favourites. There is some awesome stuff on this album...

I am crazy jealous of anyone who saw The Jam live.
    Fortunately, a large amount of their live career is documented with live albums and video footage.

Buckler and Foxton might have been the first rhythm section I noticed and listened to properly. I doubt I’ve heard many better in the intervening 40 or so years.

I don’t often listen to The Jam these days, but when I do, I’m still impressed by the power and the songwriting. You never forget your first love, eh?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    RocknRollDave said:

Buckler and Foxton might have been the first rhythm section I noticed and listened to properly. I doubt I’ve heard many better in the intervening 40 or so years.
    Foxton in particular is astounding, quite possibly the most underrated bass player ever, even though he's by no means unknown (if you see what I mean!). It's the bass that 'carries the tune' in most Jam songs - Weller plays mostly rhythmic parts and aggressive 'punctuation', and his voice is quite gruff, although he can certainly sing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    RocknRollDave said:

Foxton in particular is astounding, quite possibly the most underrated bass player ever, even though he's by no means unknown (if you see what I mean!). It's the bass that 'carries the tune' in most Jam songs - Weller plays mostly rhythmic parts and aggressive 'punctuation', and his voice is quite gruff, although he can certainly sing.
    Agreed. Was baffled by how much Foxton downplayed his own ability in a recent Guitarist interview. He said something like, “Anyone can play what I do.” 

• GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 55
    Mod Cons/Setting Sons was his peak for me. Would like to see him playing a Ricky again tho’

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum