Rolling Stone Magazine - The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6596
    Always had sympathy for Lennon over the more popular (not bigger) than Jesus quote. The reaction deliberately stirred up by people with their own agenda, taking it out of context some time after it had originally been published without controversy, was neither foreseeable nor sane. 

Lennon could be a dick on occasion, but this wasn’t one of those occasions. The original interview was thoughtful and balanced. 

Also there was arguably a silver lining. The furore massively contributed to the band stopping playing live a focusing on the studio. Without it we might never have had Sgt Pepper and the rest of the later albums.
    Well said.

There’s a good argument that the Beatles WERE more popular than Jesus at the time, certainly within some demographics. It was a valid statement to make that could have been the beginning of a calm and considered debate in America. I guess that’s not America’s way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    I'd disagree with a couple of those. 

Yes hiring the Buggles ended up in Owner of a Lonely Heart their biggest ever song.

Clearly not a Yes fan! The 'Buggles' album was Drama, 1980. 

Owner of a Lonely Heart was from 90125 (1983), with Jon Anderson singing and Trevor Rabin on guitar.

I suppose what @monquixote meant was that the association with Trevor Horn led to him producing 90125, which revitalised their career and gave them their biggest success.

Yes, it's detailed in Trevor Horns book.

They started collaborating on Drama but it eventually resulted in 90125
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    ICBM said:
    90125 is a great album, one of Yes’s best - OOALH isn’t even the best song on it.
    Absolutely - and I still listen to it regularly.  Not a duff track on there and plenty of of absolute crackers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 517
    Nitefly said:
    IIRC 14 never happened.

It was the title of their second album:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    duotone said:
    50 - Elton John goes disco
    IMO, Sir Elt was always "Disco". 

The someone who saved his life tonight was Long John Baldry. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 674
    If the Beach Boys had played Monterey Pop in their striped shirts they would have been laughed off stage. Brian Wilson, who was on the organising committee for the festival, could see the world was changing.