Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Keen cooks in this Forum?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24722
    I do all the cooking too.  As for sharp knives...  I've ordered a USB microscope so I can check the edge on mine and make sure they are so sharp, the onions will dice themselves in fear.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Theres a trend developing here.  I am also the main cook in the house.  Mrs T can cook incredibly well, just hates doing it.  I find it quite relaxing after a long day at the factory.  I am constantly chasing a good knife and will check out some of the suggestions here.  

We need Drew here for the yang to our ying

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2014
    we do our cooking together when we get the chance (we are alone during the week) though I seem to get to get the lead role on savouries and my wife on anything that involves baking. Having two pairs of hands involved makes things much easier and quicker!

I haven't gotten into knife GAS yet, one decent Solingen chef's knife is enough at the moment though I could do with some proper implements and knowledge to keep it as sharp as possible.

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I'm the cook in our house. I've got skills.
    Use Your Brian
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Don't do as much adventurous cooking as I used to (not enough time during the week so tend to do quick things), but can do quite a few things in the kitchen (baking, loads of types of bread, can do various stews, curries and things with fish without needing to look them up). Unlike most people here I don't really have an obsession with collecting knives, though I do still contend there's very little you can't do with a sufficiently sharp one and still need to get myself a proper fillet knife.

Sample might be a little biased I think...
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10431
    I wonder if they're discussing how that Fretboard forum in Englandshire is full of knife obsessed middle aged limeys who are pussy whipped into cooking for their wives on the TGP forum.

;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    imalone said:
    Don't do as much adventurous cooking as I used to (not enough time during the week so tend to do quick things), but can do quite a few things in the kitchen (baking, loads of types of bread, can do various stews, curries and things with fish without needing to look them up). Unlike most people here I don't really have an obsession with collecting knives, though I do still contend there's very little you can't do with a sufficiently sharp one and still need to get myself a proper fillet knife.

Sample might be a little biased I think...
    I don't have an obsession with knives at all. I do 90% with my main big Global, 5% with the little one and the rest split between bread and filleting. I could live without expensive ones for everything but the big one very happily - it's all you really need
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:
    I bought a ceramic vegetable knife yesterday, I'll be putting it to the test preparing a chilli today.

For once I wasn't joking. The Japanese ceramic knives are marvellous tools, but they are of course brittle, although not as expensive as they once were.

Mine isn't hugely sharp, but it's the sharpest knife I've got, and it will stay that way until I drop it or get a proper knife.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    I have a huge chopper.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    A big chopper that I bought from a Chinese supermarket. I do most things with that, although I do the smaller proportion of cooking in the Weary household.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I do most things with that,
    Why am I suddenly thinking of the Simpsons episode where Homer uses a gun to open beer bottles? :)
    imalone said:
    I do most things with that,
    Why am I suddenly thinking of the Simpsons episode where Homer uses a gun to open beer bottles? :)

I'll admit it's tricky trimming my fingernails.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I love my chef's knife, like others, probably 90% of my work is done with it but I do like a bit of butchery (do a mean ballotine) and enjoy filleting fish so my carving and filleting knives do get a decent workout.
    Use Your Brian