Can I repair this speaker cone?

What's Hot
I was inspecting a spare V30 the other day. 

I held it up horizontally to blow a bit of fluff off it, and my finger slipped off the basket and straight through the cone.

There's no material 'missing' as such.

Can I fix it myself with dope or something? Will it sound rubbish? 

(Yes I said dope. Hilarious puns will NOT be lol'd!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Yes, provided the hole doesn’t go across the edge surround, and even then you can usually get away with it.

Mix some white PVA wood glue 50/50 with water, and use that to moisten the edges of the tear. If it’s too ragged to bind properly, get some kitchen roll - or black artist’s paper if it’s going to be very visible - tear (not cut, you want ragged edges) a piece big enough to cover the damage and overlap about 1/2” all round, soak that in the glue mixture and apply it as a patch - on the back is often less visible through the grille cloth, but can be tricky if the frame is in the way. You can paint the patch black with poster paint after it’s dried if you need to.

If the hole does go across the edge doping you will need to put the patch on from the back or it won’t stick.

Normally they sound fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    For the last two speakers I repaired I cut out patches from the cardboard cones of small, low powered desktop PC speakers I had in a box in my loft for the same reason as I hang onto loads of other junk ..... they might be useful for something someday.  They did.  The cardboard from small speakers like those is obviously much thinner than cones of guitar speakers, so it's good for small patches where you ideally don't want to have a thick stiff patch.  It's also quite absorbent (almost like blotting paper) so nicely thinned white glue, as recommended by ICBM, soaks in well and makes the patch nice and floppy to apply.  I used external white PVA wood glue as it dries waterproof/resistant, which I thought might be a bonus, but mostly just because I already had some.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I put my thumb through a cone once and repaired it with a combination of wood glue and coffee filter paper, on both sides. Looked a bit rough but worked a charm

I hate handling speakers for obvious reasons :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    Thanks all, I’ll give it a go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom