Oil City Pickups: restoring a pair of Wilson pickups part 2

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
And so we continue ... the winding has to be very slow with these paper bobbins. They are strong, but they can deform - that's why for safety's sake I'm winding on the pickup's blade. 

For the sake of full disclosure, the neck pickup had to be wound a second time - the top face of the bobbin distorted slightly and I was not happy with it even though it worked fine - so I cut off the wire and re did.

Bridge coil wound and taped - these pickups weren't potted, so I kept that . 

Re assembly involved making shims to substitute for thickness of the 'trough' that originally housed the air coil - and securing them with a dab of industrial 'hot melt' glue. This is really only to stop vibration.

This and it's neck position mate are ready to rock for another 50 or so years.

Pickups like this are very much a labour of love. I don't make very much profit as time gets soaked up by all the little twists and turns as you access the issues, disassemble, fix or re manufacture damaged parts.then finally wind and reassemble. 

Guess I don't like broken things -  
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    Not liking broken things is a very righteous position.
    Lovely repair job & some nice innovative solutions too.
    Am I the only one that missed those unnecessary locking wires on the poles?  ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    Not liking broken things is a very righteous position.
    Lovely repair job & some nice innovative solutions too.
    Am I the only one that missed those unnecessary locking wires on the poles?  ;) 
    Well I put them back - for all the good they did ... The dab of hot-melt was more likely to produce quieter pickups.

Can I sing the praises of hot melt while I'm at it. Larry DiMarzio was the first I believe to use something similar under the poles of his Allen key height adjusting humbuckers - though his more resembled bath sealant. Cuts out vibration and fixes parts without the need for heavy potting. Easy to get apart again ... great stuff ... we use black mostly.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    ^ I agree with you about the hot melt glue, it is brilliant stuff if occasionally a little messy.
    I was de-icing a wild bird water container a month ago & knocked over my pricey black Bosch kettle & smashed the plastic exterior.
    A couple of sessions with black hot glue & bit of remelting & reshaping & the case is sealed & safe again.
    Marvellous  :)
    tFB Trader
    Oh - an addendum to this. After considerable research I've found that this 'Wilson' pickupn is actually manufactured by Schaller for Wilson. I have just rewound a Hofner 511 blade single coil (not to be confused with the 511 'staple' pickup (Hofner had a tendency to re use model numbers for totally different products) - and most of it's internals were identical. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Interesting
    tFB Trader
    Oh - an addendum to this. After considerable research I've found that this 'Wilson' pickupn is actually manufactured by Schaller for Wilson. I have just rewound a Hofner 511 blade single coil (not to be confused with the 511 'staple' pickup (Hofner had a tendency to re use model numbers for totally different products) - and most of it's internals were identical. 
    I have a feeling that the Japanese single coikl pickups fitted to many early 70s instruments were in fact crude copies of Schallers. .