Flatwounds

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
My bassist would like to try flatwounds on his Tele bass, I don't have a clue about gauges, brands etc in this area so does anyone have any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    T-I strings are excellent but, possibly, a little pricy for somebody just dipping a toe in the pool, so to speak.

.045 - .110 is typical from the Ernie Ball, D'Addario, Fender and Rotosounds of this world.

A '68 style Tele Bass should sound okay. The '72 style with the Wide Range Mudbucker may prove too thuddy.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    Olympia Flatwounds are good for a first try, they're cheap but sound okay.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatwound-guitar-strings-stainless-Olympia/dp/B005CD2F62/

My personal faves are LaBella Flats, 39-96. I get them from Bass Direct. They have a nice slinky smooth feel to them and last forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    I bought a USA 60s style bass 5 years ago. The guy I bought from said he’d had the same German made flatwounds on it for about 20 years. They sounded great to me. Full round with thunk and heft but a sweet upper mid.    I moved them to 50s style precision build and they sound even better on that bass to my
    ears. 

The reason for posting this is that I’d recommend having two basses one with flats the other brighter rounds. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    Different makes of flats sound amazingly different.

La Bella DTF are very old school thumpy. EB Cobalts are as bright as rounds.

Everything else is in the middle somewhere.

Get him onto Basschat classifieds - people sell old flats on there all the time. Get a few sets to see what he likes.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27107
    edited May 2023
    I have only ever used TIs in anger but I love them. 

I’ve had compliments on sound from bassists at multiple gifs so I’m not inclined to change!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 111
    Best to get a light guage first IMO. The extra tension is really noticeable (unless getting TIs or labella low tension). 40-95 are great IMO, like GHS Precision for old school or Ernie Ball Group IV for a more brighter tone. Personally love TI, but it’s a marmite string. 
    Plus, I feel the note is cleaner with a lighter guage, but if you want room filling boom, go heavy and exercise them fingers… :) 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've got a set of Detroits that I've moved between a couple of different basses for years, they're inexpensive as flats go, but they still sound lovely.

Flats in general are more expensive than rounds, but they also last a lot longer, so it balances itself out!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Thanks guys, this is all dead helpful. I'll show it to my bassist when I next see him.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Rotosounds for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHdUdreR_4
    I use them on a Precision and EB type.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I only use labella flats but if your friend just wants to try some I would recommend Adagio flats, they are on eBay and for the money are really good, I’ve had a set on one of my jazzes for about 7 years and they still sound good 
    Riddim up
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    Schnozz said:
    Rotosounds for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHdUdreR_4
    I use them on a Precision and EB type.
    I love them nearly as much as Ti Flats - but I've now got a nickel allergy so I can't use them anymore.

Only Steel strings for me now.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    TI’s or LaBellas. Those TI’s at Strings Direct are quite expensive, I don’t pay anywhere near that much for them over the counter at my local music shop. Shop around.

From experience, a cheap set might put him off for good. I bought Picatos at first, “to try flats”. I very nearly didn’t carry on with flats. Compared with TI’s they were high tension and had no ummph. 
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Labella LTF4A Low tension flatwounds are superb.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    edited May 2023
    wellsyboy said:
    Labella LTF4A Low tension flatwounds are superb.
    Yeah definitely, they are on nearly all my jazzes and precision’s and they get better with time too, I’ve TIs on another P and labella 760FL on another which are also great 
    Riddim up
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I went through a phase of trying quite a few different flatwounds, and ended up preferring the Dunlop ones.