Composition Challenge #38

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited August 2023 in Making Music
INTRO
Time for round #38 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES - THEME
In an attempt to encourage more entries, there's no theme for this one - so it's freestyle
You can specify your own theme or the genre you're aiming for. I'll probably go for something silly.

Compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously. So you can treat it as a creative exercise or just vehicle to get your music heard, and voted and commented on.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 15th September 2023
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

ENTRY PLAYLIST
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just submitted my entry with a little ditty I’ve been fettling for the last few months. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    It's in the playlist. That's the first one.

It's not a competition.
  • A sudden gig has come in at short notice with a new band, so I'm going to have to refocus my attention.

Sorry but I'm going to have to delay this another month. Hopefully that's OK @dindude ;

It's not a competition.
    A sudden gig has come in at short notice with a new band, so I'm going to have to refocus my attention.

Sorry but I'm going to have to delay this another month. Hopefully that's OK @dindude ;

Good for me - don’t want a hollow victory by nature of being the only entrant anyhow! 
  • Update deadline to 15th September. Hopefully there'll be more interest by then.

It's not a competition.
    I’m feeling a little bit lonely here! 
  • dindude said:
    I’m feeling a little bit lonely here! 
    Sorry about that. I've started but I'm having real trouble finding time, as there are loads of songs to learn for my band.

I'll definitely complete something, but might have to extend the deadline again.
    It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited September 2023
    I've sent two in just now. Both from my "Introversion" side project where I write songs about being miserable They don't always see the light of day but thought i'd do a couple to see how they sound recorded and hopefully to encourage others to join in.

Are you OK inside?
    Tried to write a piano based song, I guess I had kind of Kate Bush sort of thing in mind, so some sudden change to more free time and jazzy chords as a bit of contrast, and plenty of space. Originally both verses were sang over the piano riff but thought to give it some breathing room I'd pause a bit between the first lines of the first verse stanzas. 

I Will See You
    Wrote the chorus first when trying to learn some Cornell style acoustic songs, so lots of flattened thirds and trying to scratch my voice a bit. Then verses got added later and realised it sounded a bit more like a folky Laura Marling thing so went with it and did my own backing vocals to fill out the space a bit as the guitar sounds a bit sparse by itself. LOTS OF REVERBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I've sent two in just now...

That's great.

So now we have three entries. Not sure I'm going to get time without another date extension. But hearing what's there now, I'm not sure I'm in with a chance anyway :)

It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited September 2023
    Thank you for uploading.

Having listened to mine now on work headset, I'd like to clarify that the lyrics to the second half of the first verse of Are You Ok are "The road has holes", not something rude which sounds like that phonetically 

I might redo the lyrics at some point :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2023
    Mine's in the playlist. That makes 4 entries.

A reminder that entry closes on Friday 15th September at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • A reminder that entry closes tomorrow (15th September) at midnight.

So, even if you've got one you've prepared earlier, there's still time.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed
    It's not a competition.