Soloing over these chords

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
Here's the chord sequence:

Dmaj7 | Am7 | Gmaj7 | C9
Dmaj7 | Am7 | Gmaj7 | G/A

Help me understand what to do here - because the Am7 - Gmaj7 - C9  looks like a ii-V-I, but the Bb in the C9 makes me doubt it (and I don't really know what I'm doing with a ii-V-I)

Any help greatly appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Just use the chord arpeggio for each chord? Or:
    Bm pentatonic, Am pentatonic, D major, C Blues or D major for last chord
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    There is no ii-V-I in that sequence.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited May 2023
    So. 

It’s in D, and has a D major chord to start with. 

So you can play the notes from D major, or D major pentatonic. 

The A minor chord confusingly flips it to D mixolydian, so lower that maj7 to a b7. (Or just stick with D major pentatonic, which is very flexible and works with D major and D mixolydian)

The the G chord is fine, that’s just a IV chord. 

Then the C accentuates the mixolydian nature of the D chord. But because it’s a 9 chord, it also has a b7, which is a b6 of the D chord, whereas D major penta uses a a major 6th. 

So I’d probably just noodle in D major penta throughout apart from the C chord where I’d slip down a tone to C major penta. Or I’d do the arpeggios for each chord as mentioned above. 

Love the compound chord at the end, which you can play as x0000x if you like. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    viz said:
    So. 

The A minor chord confusingly flips it to D mixolydian, so lower that maj7 to a b7. (Or just stick with D major pentatonic, which is very flexible and works with D major and D mixolydian)

Then the C accentuates the mixolydian nature of the D chord. But because it’s a 9 chord, it also has a b7, which is a b6 of the D chord, whereas D major penta uses a a major 6th. 

So I’d probably just noodle in D major penta throughout apart from the C chord where I’d slip down a tone to C major penta. Or I’d do the arpeggios for each chord as mentioned above. 

It blows me away that people can analyse like that!
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Wonder how this would sound in drop D.  Could even add an extra bassy A to the last chord more easily.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited May 2023
    Theres a nice chromatic descent in the first 4 chords with the c sharp (maj 7 in the D chord), c (m3 in the Am), b (maj 3 in the G) and Bb (m7 in the C9). The C and Bb are interesting notes because they are outside the D major scale.  If I was soloing over this I'd be tempted to target those notes. Not the most original idea but I think it could be effective.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    I don't tend to think of a scale  / mode even though I know how to when tackling this kind of thing, I play the chord and try a melody line at the same time. A great melody is always in the chords. It's a nice sequence but I prefer a Cadd9 rather than the C9
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited May 2023
    Depends how deep you want to go with it, and it can get pretty deep! A lot depends on the tempo and how long each chord lasts. 2 bars on each chord at a slow tempo will require a different approach compared to 2 chords per bar at a quick tempo…

D maj Pentatonic will work fine over everything… even the C9 with careful use of the B natural. You can include the b3(F) to enhance the C9 chord when the time comes, you could think of that as the B Blues scale. 

As mentioned above, you could then use different arpeggios and pentatonics to begin outlining the changes of the non diatonic chords. 

Dmaj Pent for Dmaj7, Gmaj7 and G/A

Am Pent for Am7

Cmaj Pent for C9 

If one wants to get further into the sounds there are other pentatonics that can be used to enhance the character of each chord. But you may run the risk of being swamped by options. 

And to do just that… wink

You can look into modes:

Dmaj7 - D Ionian
    Am7 - A Dorian
    Gmaj7 - G Lydian or G Ionian to retain the note C that could’ve been established in the previous chord. 
    C9** - C Mixolydian
    G/A - A Mixolydian

Be aware that D Ionian, G Lydian and A Mixolydian are in fact the same pool of notes so it’s important to hit the chord tones. 

That being said, instead of thinking modally, you could just think D major scale and adjust the relevant tones when the time comes. Make C# a C when you’re on Am7, flatten C#, F# and B on C9 etc. 

** an extra choice over C9 is the Lydian b7 scale, mode 4 of melodic minor. 

And after all that, Dmaj Pentatonic will work fine and just try and make music  smile

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    viz said:
    So. 

I often play that x0000x chord up and down the neck while I'm noodling but had no idea what it was. I thought it was some form of a G chord?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    edited May 2023
    Stop worrying about theory before you play anything. Put the guitar down and hum/whistle a few melodies over the chords until you find something you like.

Very often basing something around the chord tones (ie notes within each chord) and/or the vocal melody will work well. But I'd strongly focus about getting a melody that fits based on instinct rather than what technically works on paper. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    ^ oh yes. He’s right. That’s my golden rule too, and I forgot it! And by that way, the descending chromatic run that Blueingreen mentioned will probably pop into your head because it’s a really clear tune within the chords. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    viz said:
    ^ oh yes. He’s right. That’s my golden rule too, and I forgot it! And by that way, the descending chromatic run that Blueingreen mentioned will probably pop into your head because it’s a really clear tune within the chords. 
    Haha I knew you knew really ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • th22th22 Frets: 26
    edited May 2023
    You can think of A Minor to G major7 as a II V I in G Major (just missing the V). 

Eg:

I A-7 D7 I G maj 7 I

Similarly the C9 at the end is implying a common 'Hollywood or Back door'  II V back to D (missing the II).

Eg I G-7 C7I Dmaj7I

When improvising you can think of the whole structure as 

I Dmaj7  I A-7 D7 I  Gmaj7 I  G-7 C7 I

The second ending (G/A) is substitute V chord of D (A9/11)

Ps sorry- just noted you mentioned not being comfortable with II V I’s. As mentioned above, arpeggios rule!