Dumb question about a really common chord

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4538
What do you actually call this?  I'm talking about the really common thing where you play a simple two-note root-and-fifth power chord, then drop the lower note by a semitone.  One Vision is the obvious example, but it crops up all over the place.  With only two notes, it's hard to define the root.

So something like: 4 7 x x x x - would you call that A/G#, or G#m6?  Or something else?
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3260
    With two notes (a diad), there's not enough context...BUT...what I think you're going for here is that 4-7-x-x-x-x to 5-7-x-x-x-x movement.

4-7-x-x-x-x = E/G# = 1st inversion of E, i.e. the 3rd is in the bass
    5-7-x-x-x-x = A5

So bass motion aside, it's a V I progression.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    edited May 2023
    maj7 chord..  (inverted and missing the root note in the example you've shown)

imagine 576XXX

then replace the lowest root note with the maj7 octave below.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Spot on, and if you wanted to fatten it out, you'd be playing a C-shaped barre chord on that 4th fret - ie 476454. As @digitalkettle ;says, E in 1st inversion, or E/G#.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3260
    viz said:
    Spot on, and if you wanted to fatten it out, you'd be playing a C-shaped barre chord on that 4th fret - ie 476454. As @digitalkettle ;says, E in 1st inversion, or E/G#.
    I was just going to go on about fattening ;)

I always noodled around on the 'One Vision' thing with an octave on top...and starting with a D5 chord:
    x-5-7-7-x-x
    x-4-7-6-x-x

And similar to @viz 's C-shape, for E/G# I like 4-x-2-4-5-x
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4538
    Lovely, thanks!  Yes, makes perfect sense when you try that full chord as @viz suggests.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Well technically it is not a chord. Purists say that a chord is any combination of three or more notes. With only two, it's just a dyad.

But I think that view is being unnecessarily technical and unhelpful. So to answer we need a little more information, specifically we need the context. Where is it coming from and/or where is it going to?

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited May 2023
    A diad on its own doesn’t contain enough information to let the listener know what the underlying three (or more) note chord is. Context is everything.

Example - The Fabulous Thunderbirds song ‘My Babe’ starts with a double stop containing a D and an F. Seeing those two notes written down you’d be forgiven for thinking it might be a Dm or possibly a Bb. Hear it in context though and it’s immediately obvious that it’s a G7 even though the root and third are missing.

In the OP’s example - because the context is explained it’s fairly obvious that the second chord (the one with the bass note dropped by a semitone) will be a maj7. Without context it wouldn’t be obvious at all.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it