Building a Bolt Guitar - now BUILT

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27958
edited May 2023 in Guitar
Firstly, correct, you're correct, this isn't the "Building Guitars" section of the forum.

But I thought it might be more relevant and of more interest to the people who typically look in this section, rather than those beardy old members in boiler suits who spend their time in sawdust covered sheds, making and modding their own guitars (they're all confined to the Making and Modding section).

Secondly, what's a "Bolt Guitar"?

If that's your question, I'm guessing that you've not noticed this thread;
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246791/any-guitar-kit-builders-out-there/p1
Or been here;
https://boltguitars.co.uk/
^^^ Take a look ....

And finally, why am I building one?

It's not, most definitely not because I want or need another guitar.

But if there had been a decent build-a-kit option back in time before I started building my own, I might just have got into building my own a bit earlier.  If Bolt Guitars' kits are as good as the pics on the website suggests, perhaps these kits will encourage a few more people to start building. 

There's one way to find out ...

The guys at Bolt have sent me a kit (FoC).

I've not opened it yet.  I plan to do a video unboxing over the weekend so you can all see what I see and as I see it (Mr Bolt Guitars is now hoping that he put everything into the box ).  Then stay tuned for updates on this thread over the next week or two.  I'm not going to rush it, but I will keep a note of how much time I spend working on it, and what tools I use, so you'll get a good idea of how simple (or not!) the process is.  I'm also signed up for the Bolt on-line guidance / help, so will be able to comment on that too.

Once built, I'm not going to keep it.  With agreement from Mr @digitalscream and Mr @BoltGuitarsUK we're going to do a good-old-days-forum-raffle for someone on the forum to win the finished guitar, with all proceeds to forum funds.

For anyone looking for the discount code, >>> CLICK HERE <<<
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4692
    Brilliant looking forward to this 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Looks interesting & is the first time I’ve heard of them. I like the step-by-step video concept.

Good luck with the build!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    edited May 2023
    I had seen something about them but had wondered if they were something to do with the notorious Boult guitars having forgotten the spelling, but having had a look at their website they’re clearly in a totally different game quality wise (and by the looks of it professionalism-wise), they look great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27958
    It's unboxed.

Video to follow in a little while, but initial impressions are very positive.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12512
    Love this sort of thread.  Somewhat excited :-)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27723
    Nice! Looking forward to seeing this progress
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5596
    Just looked them up and they look so much better than the majority of kits out there. Looking forward to seeing how this goes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    As well as the everything-you-need-in-the-box kit, the guys at Bolt Guitars have also put together a series of video tutorials to guide you through the finishing and assembly process.  You get access to the tutorials when you buy the kit.

I've just watched through those quickly - and they are really good.

They look to be professionally filmed, Sam (if that's who it is!) is a natural in front of the camera, and demonstrates very clearly what you need to do, step by step, with camera angles that show what's going on.  There's clearly been a lot of thought, preparation and effort gone into the videos.

I'm getting a definite *quality* feel to the whole set-up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Opening the box ....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3100
    Looks like a decent well thought out website and the current on offer price isnt too bad considering everything is there and appears decent quality, watching with interest
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    I am too following with interest. I hope that the company does well and are then able to offer a few more styles
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    Nice one Tony. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542
    Hope you build guitars better than you open boxes
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nero1701 said:
    Hope you build guitars better than you open boxes
    I need more opening-boxes practice
    ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    Unboxing videos?
    Would be TFB social media influencer unpacks shiny new toys...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
    Looks like a very well presented kit. Enjoyed your unboxing video and looking forward to following the build. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    TTony said:
    As well as the everything-you-need-in-the-box kit, the guys at Bolt Guitars have also put together a series of video tutorials to guide you through the finishing and assembly process.  You get access to the tutorials when you buy the kit.

I've just watched through those quickly - and they are really good.

They look to be professionally filmed, Sam (if that's who it is!) is a natural in front of the camera, and demonstrates very clearly what you need to do, step by step, with camera angles that show what's going on.  There's clearly been a lot of thought, preparation and effort gone into the videos.

I'm getting a definite *quality* feel to the whole set-up.
    I think it is actually Martin in front of the camera (from what I can tell from the Facebook group).  I haven't managed to get beyond unboxing yet as real life (grrr) got in the way for the last couple of weeks.  I will be posting updates when I get going too, having no experience of building guitars (never done so much as a parts caster). 

I agree that it all feels great quality and it looks like the courier did a better job of getting it to you than me (although to be fair everything inside is so well packed that it all survived unscathed despite parcel force's best effort!)

Looking forward to following your progress!
    Excellent @SteveF - we can compare experiences.

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    Definitely:) I can’t wait to get going on this. I’ve been wanting to build a guitar for ages but always been put off doing a kit due to quality and not knowing how to go about finishing.