Building a Bolt Guitar - now BUILT

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    Offset said:
    When will you be auctioning/raffling it Tony?
    Lee's dealing with that - I'm just the putter-togetherer @Offset ;
    :)
    Yep, I'm going to be sorting it out - apologies. Was supposed to be at the weekend, but my brother unexpectedly got a call for a transplant, so massive upheavals going on!

I'll try to get it sorted in the next couple of days.
    Absolutely no rush @digitalscream - the delay gave me time to break it, and then fix it.  
    ;)
    Now put it on a wall-hanger and don't go near it!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Having finished and assembled this guitar, it was unnecessarily taking up space on my main workbench.

Not wanting to scratch or ding it, I laid it carefully on top of a gripper mat on another bench, safely out of harm's way.  That was around lunchtime.

Next morning, I thought I'd move it indoors, completely out of harm's way, so picked it up off the gripper mat.  Except the gripper mat came with it.

I peeled it off, to see a nice and neat, if a little unusual, pattern across the back of the guitar.  Tried rubbing it off, tried rubbing even harder and then another coat of gloss, but to no avail.  The pattern was still visible.

Back out with the sandpapers (went back to 320 grit) to remove the pattern, but - naturally - also removed some of the finish, back to bare wood, on the edge roundovers.

Bugger.

But a couple of days later, I can report that the finish is *very* easy to touch up, and there's enough spare stuff in the kit to do it.

Bare wood edges are now once again white.  The back of the body is now pattern-free.  Still got to re-gloss and re-polish it, and it's taken another hour or two to sort out the damage, but the bottom line is that it was sortable, and relatively easily. 
    Glad to hear you got it all re-finished nicely @TTony- although I'd like to see the pattern, might've been something we used as a Tony's Limited Edition Finish piece  :#
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 603
    Looks lovely T Tony how good does it feel? / Play? I am more than interested in one of those,although I think I would prefer a traditional Tele scratch plate,maybe a mod would be possible? Like others have said, the neck looks beautiful, it makes it look like a really expensive up market instrument. Wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    I actually really like the scratch plate. I think I might even prefer it to a standard Tele one. It’s a bit like the top half of a thinline Tele plate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    For anyone who's interested...the raffle thread's (finally) up :)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251045/bolt-guitars-raffle
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom