CAUTION: over-stretching can damage your fingers

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
Just NO!

This must rate highly among the many stupid mechanical devices supposed to improve our playing.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    *cough*

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    roberty said:
    *cough*

[video of North Korea Kindergarden children playing guitar...]
    Some of the comments to that are things like, "Their strange head movements and grinning freaks me out a bit."  And I'm thinking, but have you ever seen me with a wah wah?"

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Grunfeld said:
    roberty said:
    *cough*

[video of North Korea Kindergarden children playing guitar...]
    Some of the comments to that are things like, "Their strange head movements and grinning freaks me out a bit."  And I'm thinking, but have you ever seen me with a wah wah?"

I can imagine Donald Trump watching it and thinking how wonderful it is
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RioRio Frets: 2
    Robert Schumann damaged his left hand with a mechanical stretching device. Things can be taken too far.

Rio
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7299
    edited June 2023
    I can't see the image because my work computer blocks external images, but I assume it's a device that forces your fingers to splay apart.  I don't see the point in having a device that forces your fingers to stretch further than you can get them to splay without the presence of a mechanical device to keep them forced apart.  Peoples' inability to execute very wide stretches usually isn't because their fingers are incapable of spanning the distance, it's because they cannot do it without a device forcing their fingers apart.  Obviously there are extremes as evidenced by the very young Russian, Romanian, etc gymnasts in decades gone by where their bodies were forced to bend more than they should have been bending, but it's not the same thing as stretching fingers apart, and additionally we have been made aware of the damage that kind of thing can do to joints and ligaments in later years.

[EDIT: Home from work now and can see the image of the device.  It's just plain stupid AND dangerous]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1419
    Ooh, torture! That will improve my playing and my children's. Its how medals are won ... in music :#
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1866
    roberty said:
    *cough*

At that age young children's fingers are not fully formed like a fully grown adult. A lot of their bone is a firm and flexible cartilage which will eventually become bone in future years. I imagine this is why those type of stretches are much easier as a youngster and less as an adult.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7299

At that age young children's fingers are not fully formed like a fully grown adult. A lot of their bone is a firm and flexible cartilage which will eventually become bone in future years. I imagine this is why those type of stretches are much easier as a youngster and less as an adult.
    I would also hazard a guess that the threat of never seeing Mummy and Daddy again if they can't do that stretch might play a large part in their motivation and dexterity.
    BillDL said:

I would also hazard a guess that the threat of never seeing Mummy and Daddy again if they can't do that stretch might play a large part in their motivation and dexterity.
    That is quite a racist remark.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4189
    BillDL said:

Is it ?  The child is North Korean if I remember  and the comment about them never seeing mummy or daddy again  a reflection of the Totalitarian state they live in & what they may have to endure 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BillDL said:

Is it ?  The child is North Korean if I remember  and the comment about them never seeing mummy or daddy again  a reflection of the Totalitarian state they live in & what they may have to endure 
    You, nor I, know little about their living conditions because of their secrecy. It could be like the Russians and Chinese did or do where the most talented get the best treatment? A crass comment at least,if not racist.