Late night GAS

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
edited October 2014 in FX
Whilst pulling an all nighter to get an assignment finished for my BTEC, I've managed to buy a Digitech Bad Monkey (£21 off amazon) and a Behringer NR100 Noise Gate (£15 off evilBay)

Behringer aren't the best out there, but I wanted the extra functionality it had over the Joyo at the price. I don't gig or mistreat my stuff so it should be okay. I'll probably fork out for a better Noise gate if it does bite the dust though. 
Strange what I'll do to procrastinate :D 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Hertz, is the noise gate designed to reduce single coil hum or another type of noise?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Good call on the Bad Monkey.

I loves mine for adding grit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2014
    jellyroll;370878" said:
    Hertz, is the noise gate designed to reduce single coil hum or another type of noise?
    Whatever noise you put in front of it I believe, You can use them for reducig that hum. But I think I'm putting mine in my effects loop on its own with my wah and Bad monkey into the front of the amp. So my signal path would be Guitar - wah/bad monkey (will swap them around to find which way works best) - preamp - noise gate - power amp

I have an Orange Dark Terror and the preamp hums quite a bit without a signal going into it.

Yeah, I'm aiming to use it as more of a clean boost in its own right rather than an outright OD pedal. Lee Malia (I havent shut up about him recently...) Used a klon Centaur into the front of a dimed JCM800 to tighten it up for his rhythm playing, he uses an OCD live though.

'Awibble'
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Just goes to show gas can strike at anytime?
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I enjoyed my bad monkey!  I couldn't shake the blanket over amp syndrome though (although that might just have been me ;))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    joeyowen said:
    I enjoyed my bad monkey!  I couldn't shake the blanket over amp syndrome though (although that might just have been me ;))

How were you using it?

I've had that as a stand-alone alternative toa dirt channel on the amp, but as a gain/volume boost into a dirty amp it's great.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited October 2014
    joeyowen said:
    Yeah it does have a wee bit of that. Don't get me wrong- for the current price it's almost churlish to complain if it's even half-decent (and it's way better than half-decent). But yeah there is that wee bit of blanket thing with it, that there isn't with even the joyo version (though I'd trust the BM's reliability a lot more than the Joyo, plus it has the bass control which is handy).

EDIT: nice scores :D
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770

I'd be really interested to see how you get on with the noise gate.

I really need one and i'm broke so the cheaper the better.

gubble;371344" said:
    I'd be really interested to see how you get on with the noise gate.I really need one and i'm broke so the cheaper the better.
    Will let you know then ;) may even stick something up on youtube/soundcloud for you
    'Awibble'

Thank you that would be great

Behringer hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully will today or tomorrow though
    Bad Monkey has however, and is 50 shades of awesome :D Level on max, gain on nil, slight bass boost and moderate treble boost (Takes out the muddiness) and it just pushes me through an extra stage of preamp gain and adds a little bit of EQing to the guitar. Really tight sounding for rhythm playing.

@gubble what kinda thing would you use it for? I can demo it as a High-gain thing noise reduction thing, or?.. 
    'Awibble'
    Just to reduce the noise from my p90's when playing live.
    Okay, I'll demo it with my cheap strat then in pos 1,3 and 5
    'Awibble'
    @gubble
    Behringer suppressor is acceptable, nothing special. It would do the job, but be aware of the power jack in placement, it gets in the way of 90degree jacks if you are using the send and return too. I'd like it if the delay could be set even shorter, and the suppression was even greater. but it should take out p-90 hum no probs. 
    'Awibble'
    That sounds cool thank you, someone has very kindly lent me the MXR smartgate so going to be trying that out tonight and see how that works :)