line 6 dilemma..

What's Hot
bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
edited October 2014 in Amps

Ok so for the last 5 years I have been using a Flextone 2 HD with 2 stacked 2x12 (1966a/b) cabinets.. loved it.. then it developed a psu issue and now its RIP.

Sourcing a replacement is gonna take a long time.. so I thought I'd try a Spider Valve having witness some nice tones, but I just wasn't getting my sound and I have a valve phobia regarding reliability and mixed with digital.

So, my latest venture involved building a rack consisting of a Pod v2 Pro rack unit with a Valvestate 8004.. I loaded up the patches and was disappointed to find they weren't immediately usable. Naive, I know!!!  I tweaked some, and got the Clean and Lead to a satisfactory state but the Treadplate/Dual Rec patch I was using for Rhythm is created some real bass whoomp through the speakers even with the bass rolled right back whilst palm muting when I was expecting a tight crunch?!?

So before I throw the baby out with the bathwater; any ideas? I will try to built a patch from scratch, and/or try a different amp model; but I am wondering if the valvestate amp has enough power/clarity for the job thus is contributing to the bass thump when palm muting.

I know some will suggest a PA type power amp, 150-250 watts type thing..?  If I can get hold of one on the borrow I may try it.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It has been a long time since I used them, but I did have a Flextone 2 XL which I used for years.  The POD 2.0 has the same modelling from what I remember.

You could try looking at the Soldano model, it should be tighter than the Dual Rec model.  Dual Recs are very bass heavy on modern mode and rolling back the bass below 12:00 on the real thing is pretty common practice, however I honestly can't remember how the model sounds on those amps.  I'm pretty sure I used a Soldano and Marshall models most of the time on my Flextone 2.

I'm not familiar with the 8004, but at 40+40 watts solid state it is a lot less powerful on paper than the HD which IIRC was a 200 solid state amp.  Depending on how loud you play that might also be an issue, but I can't say for certain.
  • Also, just a thought - have you disabled cabinet modelling?

From what I remember, it is on by default.  I remember if you tried to use a 4x12 cab model through the 2x12 combo speakers of my Flextone XL it couldn't handle it at volume.  Might be worth double checking what settings you're using there.
  • Ideally I'd like to keep the cab modelling on for the DI out section.. this shouldnt affect the "live" feed dramatically to the cabinets.. or at least it never did on the Flextone ii HD.

If I remember correctly the Flextone ii HD was 300 and I never had it past 2-3 in practice. I have a Crate power block, which is 150 watts, that I carry as spare and have gigged with the Pod v2 bean; , so I may try that too with the same patch for elimination purposes.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I can't comment about the Marshall amp...I don't know them well enough.

The Flex2 HD had a very different power amp stage to what has gone since at Line6 (arguably, the Flex2 was far less reliable but it had a particular sound that some prefer). When it was made End of Life, the suggestion was to upgrade to the HD147 head - as this had a similar tonal footprint/output.

You could search out one of these on eBay or similar. 

I hope that helps
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited October 2014
    I found the 4x12 cab models pretty dramatic through my Flextone combo, the difference in low end vs cab models off was very noticeable.  If you intend to keep cab modelling on it would definitely be worth looking to see if different cab models make any practical improvements for your situation, it could be the associated cab for the treadplate model is putting out too much low end for your 8004 poweramp.  You could try a different cab model, or a smaller cab model size (e.g. 2x12).  Worth a try anyway
  • Change the default cab model....yeah thats another good avenue to consider.

The HD147 is also another good idea.

I love the all encompassing nature of the line 6 devices (built-in effects, DI out, etc); but have been offered a Blackstar ID100 to try; but this would involve separate Wah and cabinet Mic-up solutions.

My trading feedback

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    I've got a Flextone 1 for sale in the classifieds..
  • cheers but not looking for a combo
    My trading feedback

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    couldn't you use it for parts?
  • no as the busted flex hd has long gone
    My trading feedback

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    No the power amp modules are very different between the head and the combo, and are not interchangeable.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I have a Samson Servo 170 in my studio.. I may try this
    My trading feedback

• I love the all encompassing nature of the line 6 devices (built-in effects, DI out, etc); but have been offered a Blackstar ID100 to try; but this would involve separate Wah and cabinet Mic-up solutions.

You would need a separate wah but I think the ID100 can do DI to desk as well as put out sound to a cab.
  • I'm in two trib bands so versatility is key; Metallica and AC/DC sure have different sounds.

I have bought a Hammett Wah recently so an ID100 isnt out of the question.

My trading feedback

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Call Line 6 and see if they have a spare power supply or can help. You might be surprised.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • its long gone unfortunately
    My trading feedback

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    its long gone unfortunately
    What's long gone? I know the amp hasn't been made for years but I got a spare part for my Flextone II a year or so ago. Have you tried the Line 6 forums?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    edited October 2014
    the dead amp is no longer in my possession
    My trading feedback

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Grab a combo off ebay, they go for very little, and rehouse it in a head unit. 
  • different power stage amp.. may not be same dedicated head
    My trading feedback