pickup for telecaster bridge with less 'harshness'? SORTED

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    edited May 2023

Needs a few stickers for a Joe Strummer vibe. Ash's Alligator 90 or Kayman 90 pickups might provide a hint of Mick Jones.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2675
    markblack said:
    @all thanks for all the replies... i shall hit Google.

It's only to go into a cheap and cheerful project I've just done turning an old piece of oak work top into this.
    It's a bit rough round the edges... weighs a tonne... but I wanted to learn a bit more about building a guitar body.

Plays nice enough (to my surprise) and the pick up ain't bad - I've used @OilCityPickups in the past so that will be the way I go I think...

That looks killer! Good work :+1: 

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    @lovestrat74 cheers! 
    @Funkfingers - I was thinking some stickers! or try and make a scratch plate... bit of tort action. I'll have a look at those pickups!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    Wisdom abound in this thread already. I’ve had good results with the BKP Brown Sugar & Boss sets, though I admit I like a chunk more treble from the guitar than most (I have fat sounding fingers, apparently). 

More recently I’m a big fan of Lollar but in the U.K. I’d be giving Oil City a shout and doing whatever he says! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11990
    tFB Trader
    I really like that ... I don't often like messing with the traditional Tele shape ... but that's nice. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Creamery Tele size P90 is very good or just roll the tone off a bit...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Dominic said:
    Those tone knob things are pretty handy too
    Speaking of the tone knob, what value capacitor is in there? It's a subtle difference, but if it's currently got 22nF, changing to the more-vintage-accurate 47nF *might* make enough of a difference. It did on one of my guitars, at least.
    @Dave_Mc - thanks - already have a 47nF in there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 149
    Don’t dismiss tonerider
    I have a number of their pickups and I’m not disappointed for the price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    markblack said:
    @Dave_Mc - thanks - already have a 47nF in there.
    Ah no worries :)
  • jw_H-535jw_H-535 Frets: 12
    Lollars. I have some in my Nocaster, perfect warm neck and smooth bridge unless you get right over the bridge and then the ice pick tones are there if you need them. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    My Tele pickup experience is pretty limited but I got a set of Bare Knuckle Flat 52s to replace the ones I had. It really made a massive improvement. However, they're pretty twangy so might not be what what you're after. I wouldn't describe the bridge one as harsh but maybe it is compared to the 49 Oil City one.

That guitar is a really cool shape and colour. If it's a bit too heavy and you want to practice some more guitar building skills have you thought about routing it out from the back for some chambers and putting on a thinish back-cap a la Rickenbacker? 
    thanks again for the replies...

@Pabcrane - I did think about routing it out more... but it was just a bit of fun with a bit of scrap wood I had... I'm building another and this time from a lighter wood! :)
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 651
    I would imagine using the tone and gain controls on the amp would soften the harshness somewhat, you could give it a try then at least you will find which way you want to go.
    so I went for an @OilCityPickups Wapping Wharf after a very helpful chat with Ash...

I think it finished off the build nicely but more importantly it sounds like what I was after and the fact that it's tapped for two different sounds is really nice to have on a simple set up like this.

I'm no pickup expert... in-fact I'm about as far from being one as you can be but this is my 3rd oil city pick up and all have been very pleasing on the ear.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    You’ll probably find the intonation is better if you swap the E/B and G/D saddles - the stagger is the opposite way round on them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM cheers. I have a swap over. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11990
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    markblack said:
    so I went for an @OilCityPickups Wapping Wharf after a very helpful chat with Ash...

I think it finished off the build nicely but more importantly it sounds like what I was after and the fact that it's tapped for two different sounds is really nice to have on a simple set up like this.

I'm no pickup expert... in-fact I'm about as far from being one as you can be but this is my 3rd oil city pick up and all have been very pleasing on the ear.

Looking good in there Mark :-) 

I often think that the Wapping Wharf pickup suffers from not having a sexy name ... but the story behind it means I won't be changing it. 
    A customer of mine, a lovely chap Chris who built guitars to satisfy himself and sometimes sold them - asked me to design a custom pickup for him. He wanted a tapped Broadcaster pickup with real heart and tone ... and when I asked him what he wanted it called, he said Wapping Wharf after the studios he most enjoyed recording in 'back in the day'. 
    To be honest Chris was one of those customers who would happily spend an hour plus on the phone discussing guitars, the world and everything. He was a lovely bloke, but whenever he called me I knew it was going to be a long one. 
    He had many pickups from me and I think the last I made was a tapped Wapping Wharf neck pickup ... last because he (unbeknown to me) had been battling cancer for some while, and a mutual friend phoned me to say he'd passed away. 

Chris was a bit of a pain in the bum ... but a lovely gentleman in the best sense of the word - so his Wapping Wharf will stay called that ... and I may get around to making the neck version available at some point.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14011
    markblack said:

I think that looks the dog's cojones. And a small tort plate would be the icing on the cake.

Very nice work indeed.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    markblack said:

Looking good in there Mark :-) 

I often think that the Wapping Wharf pickup suffers from not having a sexy name ... but the story behind it means I won't be changing it. 
    A customer of mine, a lovely chap Chris who built guitars to satisfy himself and sometimes sold them - asked me to design a custom pickup for him. He wanted a tapped Broadcaster pickup with real heart and tone ... and when I asked him what he wanted it called, he said Wapping Wharf after the studios he most enjoyed recording in 'back in the day'. 
    To be honest Chris was one of those customers who would happily spend an hour plus on the phone discussing guitars, the world and everything. He was a lovely bloke, but whenever he called me I knew it was going to be a long one. 
    He had many pickups from me and I think the last I made was a tapped Wapping Wharf neck pickup ... last because he (unbeknown to me) had been battling cancer for some while, and a mutual friend phoned me to say he'd passed away. 

Chris was a bit of a pain in the bum ... but a lovely gentleman in the best sense of the word - so his Wapping Wharf will stay called that ... and I may get around to making the neck version available at some point.
    I've often wondered the (great) backstory - thanks for sharing. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.