Les Paul Kahlers

What's Hot
iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
edited October 2014 in Guitar

I've never had nor seen a kahler let alone one on a Lester so I don't know how they are supposed to sit.

Should they be pert off the body like this? And is it me or does neck angle seem steep ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Yes, they're meant to sit up at that sort of angle. They rest on two height-adjustable flat-topped screws which go into the old bridge post holes. Although oddly, the one on the bass side might be missing. You can see it corresponds roughly to the angle of the tailpiece studs though, that's correct.

Yes, the neck angle is steep - most modern Gibsons are, but they can vary to quite a large degree too, due to Gibson's deliberately pre-industrial method of fitting the neck joint! Basically a bloke with tools that wouldn't have been out of place in an 18th-century carpenter's shop…

However, both things look far worse than they actually are because the bridge pickup surround is fitted backwards :).

If you want a Kahler'ed Les Paul, don't modify one, buy an old one that's been done already - there are quite a few out there and they sell for much less than an unmodified one. Just check that the cavity has been routed properly, and not done with a blunt rodent or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers ICBM. As it goes that an 80s custom from the factory. Tempted. At a good price.
  • iseverynamegone;371649" said:
    Cheers ICBM. As it goes that an 80s custom from the factory. Tempted. At a good price.
    Turn the pickups cover around though yeah? ;)

Kahler trems are really cool in use I think, shame there are not so many around.
  • ^ I knew there was something weird looking but you know how it is when you have the vendor stood there with you :-). As it goes I checked the wiring and the truss but never looked at the pups (measured em at about 7k) but as thats pointed out now I'd want to check what's in there. ...

One piece back and neck. Mid to late 80s is when gibson turned the corne right?
    They do also have a problem with the springs stretching if they get repeated violent use (which is kind of the point…) but you can get replacements from Kahler, who are still in business. There was a period when they didn't seem to be, but they're definitely around now:

May be useful if it does prove that one of the height adjusters is missing, too.

I must admit that neck angle does look pretty steep even by modern Gibson standards though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
    edited October 2014
    Snog , marry , avoid?

Beyond looking a bit meh does neck angle actually matter?
    I find they feel odd and don't sound as good as the ones with flatter angles when they have a normal bridge, but with the Kahler it might actually be an advantage, since it allows you to get more pressure on the bridge saddles - low saddle string break angle is often an issue with them on other guitars and causes lack of sustain and tone.

You would like to think that someone at Gibson spotted the neck angle and set it aside for a Kahler, but… this is Gibson we're talking about, so probably not :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I may get it . It's an 18th birthday present for my daughter. She's 5 now so I figure at a decent price now it will hold its value at the least ( and let pops rip a few dive bombs till then )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    yeah, the higher the better on kahler saddles. the bottom half of the height adjustment is pretty much useless.

its one of the reasons they got a bad rep, people thought they fit strats quite well (kahler did encourage this a fair bit)  but without having a greater neck angle or recessing the kahler you just can't get the saddles high enough for good tension. 

you can get parts here, and some help identifying specific models and the differences between them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3893
    What is it for sale for? Just buy her a Hello Kitty Strat, for God's sake.
  • I'm not sure I , I mean she, would like that as much ..:)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3893
    He he, that's what it boils down to, right?
  • . I figure savings accounts are better taken off the wall to play spirit of the radio on every now and then than used as collateral to buy guns and stuff . I think. Depends on the gun I guess and who they are shooting . If they are shooting slash I'm all in.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The late Steve Clark of Def Leppard played Kahler-loaded Customs. 

That makes it a good combination. 

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I reckon Richard will take an offer on that :-)
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
    edited October 2014
    Well it would appear I bought it. She is going to be so pleased in 2027 :-)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    About 15 years ago there was an 80's LP Custom with a Kahler in a local guitar shop. 

Me and a mate tried it as he loved both LPs and Floyds and so thought this might be a winner. 

It was the single worst sounding guitar I've ever played. I think they ended up dropping it to about £400 before it sold. This sounds wrong, but I'm sure I remember it being that low.
  • She is going to be so disappointed in 2027 ...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Kahlers are uncomfortable to play. Floyds are much nicer under my picking hand.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)