Les Paul Kahlers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    mike_l said:
    Kahlers are uncomfortable to play. Floyds are much nicer under my picking hand.

I find the opposite to that.  I like that the kahler saddels don't move. 

They do feel different to floyds though, just a different feel to the tension.  the range is similar but the sustain drops off more of the kahler the more you dive, can easily keep it going with a little wobble though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
    edited October 2014
    I found the bar angle too high but to be honest the thing needs asetup so we shall see.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    WezV said:
    mike_l said:
    Kahlers are uncomfortable to play. Floyds are much nicer under my picking hand.

I find the opposite to that.  I like that the kahler saddels don't move. 

They do feel different to floyds though, just a different feel to the tension.  the range is similar but the sustain drops off more of the kahler the more you dive, can easily keep it going with a little wobble though

I find they dig into my picking hand. I have the same with Strat bent-steel saddles. I suspect I't down to my playing style rather than the actual guitars though.

I know some guitarists (I know Kerry King and - RIP- Jeff Hanneman) prefer Kahlers, as that's what they learnt on, much like my first "proper" guitar had a Floyd.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    To be honest I wouldn't buy this guitar if the excuse is an 18th present for your daughter. If Kahler go out of business before then it will become a liability. The parts - springs particularly, possibly other bits - will become impossible to replace without huge expense (getting a machine shop to make them individually), and the unit cannot easily be replaced with anything else due to the rout.

I like Kahlers, but I wouldn't buy a guitar like this with one on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Yes but you can convert it back to stop tail piece and tune-o-matic... leaving somewhere to store your plectrums/stash/condoms
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Just ask Brent Mason. 

His Tele has a massive chunk taken out of it where it used to have a Kahler.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970

I've been playing a Les Paul Studio fitted with this :

It's very good and requires no holes to be cut
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    monquixote;372478" said:
    Just ask Brent Mason. 

His Tele has a massive chunk taken out of it where it used to have a Kahler.
    And Trigger's Broom AKA Gilmour's Black Strat has a large wood fillet behind the now coventional trem where a Kahler once sat and was replaced.

• Kahlers raeally don't take a lot of wood out of a les paul. Loads less than floyd in any case