SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: PRS 408 Faded Whale Blue

What's Hot
AlunAlun Frets: 137
edited June 2023 in Guitars £
Update: Now sold!

Hey folks, offering up another PRS for sale or trade, this time my 408 in Faded Whale Blue. I bought this pretty recently on here and was over the moon at first - it's astoundingly nice to play and sounds great. But in all honesty I feel like a Core PRS just isn't the right match for me these days, and I still have this nagging feeling that I’d be happier with a primarily single coil guitar. I've seen something I'm interested in so it's time to test the theory.

Short tone video here (using Neural DSP’s Tone King plugin): https://imgur.io/a/rkTvFTP

And closeups of the maple top: https://imgur.io/a/FRnplFY

This is a 2017 build of a fabulous, now discontinued model in my favourite PRS finish. For any that don’t know, 408 means 4 coils, 8 sounds. In full humbucking mode you get a slightly narrower, more focused neck pickup and a wider, articulate bridge pickup. In split coil the wiring system adds extra coils to the split signal to avoid the usual volume drop off you get with coil taps/splits. Super useful and unlike so many similar systems the splits have an interesting, unique tone that sits somewhere between Tele, lipstick and P90, but it can go further and you can unlock a lot of versatility by rolling off the volume and tone controls.

The neck is a Pattern Regular, nicely full without being overly chunky, and the action is set really nicely. The body is the thicker McCarty style build and the frets are the taller wider variety than a standard PRS.

The guitar is in excellent condition with only some very minor wear to the frets and the light, almost invisible marks you’d expect to see on any guitar that’s actually been played.

Asking for £2,100 £2000, ideally collected (based near Reading) but I can look into a courier or even hand delivery if needed. I've got something lined up to replace this with, so no longer accepting trade offers.

Full album of pictures here: https://imgur.com/2TAL88D

Thanks for looking!
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jabba74Jabba74 Frets: 56
    That is a stunner. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlunAlun Frets: 137
    Jabba74 said:
    That is a stunner. 
    It really is, have stopped myself starting this thread a couple of times thinking I must be daft for selling it! 
    Bump - new video links added! Hard to show all the tones in just a minute so if anyone has any specific genres or requests I’d be happy to record a clip more suited to your own tastes.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1000
    Absolute peach of a guitar :)
    These really are brilliant guitars, I have a stoptail artist pack and it is so effortlessly playable and has so many sounds in it. The pickups are so richly musical from beautiful chiming single coils to meaty humbuckers with none of that seediness you often see in splits. 
    Love the jumbo frets too, from memory I think only the 408 and the DGT has jumbo?

best of luck with the sale :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BlueStrat said:
    Absolute peach of a guitar :)
    These really are brilliant guitars, I have a stoptail artist pack and it is so effortlessly playable and has so many sounds in it. The pickups are so richly musical from beautiful chiming single coils to meaty humbuckers with none of that seediness you often see in splits. 
    Love the jumbo frets too, from memory I think only the 408 and the DGT has jumbo?

best of luck with the sale :)

You really hit the nail on the head there - there’s so much to love, easily the best combination of features I’ve played on a PRS. The trem and jumbo frets from a DGT, the body and neck of a McCarty and the versatility of a Custom 24. If this was the all mahogany version with a stoptail I think I’d be more likely to keep hold of it as that’s more my thing. Regardless though this is just a wonderful guitar. 

As a weekend incentive, I’d be happy to knock down to a flat £2000 if someone could commit fairly quick…
    Monday bump! I've got something lined up to replace this so would love to find it a happy home. Updated the original post with a video but happy to record more samples if anyone out there would like to see some more tones. It really is an astoundingly versatile guitar.
    Midweek bump!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    Alun said:
    Jabba74 said:
    That is a stunner. 
    It really is, have stopped myself starting this thread a couple of times thinking I must be daft for selling it! 
    The key to not GASsing over your own stuff is to take awful photos
  • myrmanmyrman Frets: 72
    As the previous owner I have to say that this is a great guitar and is in fantastic condition. Just add that Alun is great to deal with so anyone considering this don't hang about especially at this price.