how many channels is enough??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx said:
    The newest version of the VH100R is easier to carry because of the rock solid metal handles. The older ones were a pain because the leather straps always broke.

We're still using the one in the band I bought in 2008/09.

That rack though... at that point, wouldn't you just get an Axe FX or Kemper?? *ducks*

yes...Laney has nailed it with those handles...surprising other companies arent doing the same thing. Those handles are so reassuringly strong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't believe it took so long for someone to think it up.

I feel the same way about the swing door on the Ibanez truss rod cover.  None of my guitars have their truss rod cover attached because I can't be bothered looking for the right screwdriver each time I need to tweak them.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    If I felt uber confident about an amp staying for life, I would mod it to have those handles for sure. You can buy them from Mav Electronics from what I remember.
  • 1 has always been enough for me. With the caveat that I've often got the sound I want by jumpering both channels of a Plexi/Bluesbreaker and using the channel link switch on my chinese AC30.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Drew_fx;372157" said:
    Have to say, that Randall amp looks cool. I've never really looked into them, because I always assosciated them with crappy spandex metal. But maybe I'm missing a trick?
    They have amps that cover the whole caboodle these days, but are known for the modern metal stuff - definitely worth a look in!

I know you're not a fan, but Ola ungland has a sig head, and his sound is quite a modern thrashy one (which he seems able to get from any amp to! tbf.

They also have some pretty great looking new pedals, including a preamp type one I want to look at.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I have 50 on my JMP1 and use about 7 different ones for a gig. It's just different amounts of gain and EQ for different songs really
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    I have 50 on my JMP1 and use about 7 different ones for a gig. It's just different amounts of gain and EQ for different songs really
    2 "dirt" pedals with differing amounts of distortion/OD give me 4 different flavours from both off to both on. Add in a foot-operated volume pedal, and an HT-Boost at the end of the chain, then factor in the combinations of pickups (LP-style controls here) and I think I can get a reasonably wide rage of sounds. That's not to disparage Danny's JMP1, its just to point out that even with 1 channel and a basic pedalboard you still have a lot of options open to you. Although you may not find them all useful, as Danny says: he uses 7 out of 50.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    I always though 1-2 was enough. It's rare to have an amp that has truly great clean tones and great driven tones in the one package, so I guess I'd rather have a stereo rig if someone else was carrying it and setting it up for me.

I recently bought a 3 channel amp (it's really a 2 1/2 channel amp, clean and crunch share a common EQ), and it's nice, but I don't find myself missing the extra channels when I use my single or 2 channel amps.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Half a channel and I'm fine!