New dinky plane

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    SteveF - I see you're in Scotland. If you're ever out Stirling way, you would be most welcome to pop into my workshop (messy garage) and have a play with some of my planes. I have a fair range, and it mught give you an idea what works best in your hands before buying anything. Ive a selection of chisels and saws too.
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Thanks mate much appreciated :) 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    In that case Steve skip the modern Stanleys, I would. Also don't get everything at once, like get one Rider and see how it looks or something like that.

Basically-
    #7 & 8 is a jointer, long things used for making joints flat & true
    #6 you can ignore but is a 'try plane'. short nose - used when a rough board has the worst taken off say with a scrub plane, and before a jointer plane. The short nose helps in this intermediate stage.
    #5s - jack planes, can do all sorts
    #4s are smoothers - the last step for flat boards etc, refining the finish, taking very fine cuts. Personally very rarely use mine but is sometimes handy.

There is crossover with these^^ like it's perfectly possible to joint blanks with a 4, 4 /12, or a 6 etc etc. But a 5 or 5 1/2 would be a good bit nicer for blank jointing than a 4 and might be all the plane you need. I'd probably get a good 5 or 5 1/2 and a proper machined straight edge, if getting only one plane, or as the first one.
    Better to have one good true plane well set-up than a few not-so-great ones, too much runout in the sole or iffy machining and suchlike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Thanks @Corvus extremely helpful. :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    The advice I was given is: don’t buy a tool until you need it. Then buy a decent quality one which will last. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom