Anyone gigging a Zoom L12? Question about Aux/monitor outs.

StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
Interested to know if the headphone outs (I like the number of Auxes it offers) are going to work with IEM units - wired or wireless.  It seem the documents really only discuss them driving headphones and I am concerned they may be too hot an output for a belt pack or transmitter.

I usually gig bigger Soundcraft digital desks with balanced/XLR Aux outs but I am after a smaller recorder/live mixer with at least 3 Aux mixes for smaller outfits.  

Any experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3732
    I have gigged with an L-12 but this would be going back to 2019 so I'm a little hazy on the details.  Certainly we would have been using a mixture of IEM and wedges.  I can remember having the same concerns about the suitability of the headphone outs for driving monitors but it must have worked as we used it this way on multiple gigs.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Headphones outputs can provide more current than line outputs, as they need to drive into 16 ohms or so but this doesn't mean they are "hotter" in terms of signal voltage level when used into line inputs .... some might even be a bit weak but you can always adjust for this on the IEM transmitters or belt packs headphone amps gain control. So will be fine 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
    Musicwolf said:
    I have gigged with an L-12 but this would be going back to 2019 so I'm a little hazy on the details.  Certainly we would have been using a mixture of IEM and wedges.  I can remember having the same concerns about the suitability of the headphone outs for driving monitors but it must have worked as we used it this way on multiple gigs.
    Thanks

Danny1969 said:
    Headphones outputs can provide more current than line outputs, as they need to drive into 16 ohms or so but this doesn't mean they are "hotter" in terms of signal voltage level when used into line inputs .... some might even be a bit weak but you can always adjust for this on the IEM transmitters or belt packs headphone amps gain control. So will be fine 

Thanks
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    Is there an update on how this worked out? 
    I’m considering the same setup for the band
    edited July 2023
    gjonesy said:
    Is there an update on how this worked out? 
    I’m considering the same setup for the band
    Still in the wireless vs desk mixer decision process.  We are still getting great recordings and Aux controls from our older Soundcraft 22 MTK but it means carting a laptop. 

Might just go for another UI24r for the personal IEM mix option. USB stick recordings are fine and I know the preamps are top notch.