Compressor in effects loop to balance rolled back cleans with lead tones on a single channel amp...

What's Hot
ChéChé Frets: 305
Title says it all really but in more detail, 

I use e Mesa MK I and love the lead tone I get. I've been using a separate amp for my cleans but it's laborious to shift two amps when I can get the tone just by rolling back my guitars volume knob. Only thing is when doing so the volume of my clean tone relative to the lead tone is severely diminished. 

I'm assuming a compressor in the effects loop should even this out but my main concern is not to completely squash my signal in the process. The clean tone I had in mind is a slightly broken up Hendrixy/Frusciante funk clean so not super clean. 

I'm thinking something like a Barber Tone Press perhaps? My knowledge of comps is limited to studio outboard. 
Would also be cool to know if anyone else does this.

Cheers guys!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Something with a blend knob might be a good shout, I've found that to be one of the most useful tools on a compressor. Wampler Ego for tons of tweakability, or my current fav Xotic SP comp for small and simple!
  • Dude get an MXR Micro Amp and just use it Tito make up the volume difference in the loop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    I used to have Micro Amp and used it just for that reason! It's just something else for me to potentially fall over and mess up the settings on it. Could be worse as it is only one knob. 

I've seen the Mission Engineering VM-PRO which might help bring out the clean tone's more given it's unique buffer. It also has a minimum volume setting which means I wouldn't need to mess with the volume knob. On a similar note I could install a treble bleed in my vol pot of the guitar but I'm thinking they'll still be a volume difference. 

The SP comp does look cool and it's battery operated and small enough that I could probably secure it into my amp head.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! 
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    Anyone else care to chime in?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10556

Just a pot in the loop which attenuates when engaged is the cheapest easiest option. So the dirty sound is attenuated to a lower volume which matchs the rolled off cleaner volume
    www.2020studios.co.uk