Will this be any good?

What's Hot
New Dad's Army film

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370

perhaps I'd like it to be, but I saw some of the American remakes of the original TV programmes and they just weren't funny. Is Dads Army one of those things where only the original is good enough?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    No I dont think it will,....more so if you remember the original shows.

I recently caught some re-runs of Rising Damp...It made me laugh but I dont quite know why,    

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    New Dad's Army film

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370

perhaps I'd like it to be, but I saw some of the American remakes of the original TV programmes and they just weren't funny. Is Dads Army one of those things where only the original is good enough?
    Putting that another way, did Dad's Army benefit hugely from the talents of Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Ian Lavender and the other actors, or was the magic all in the script?

I think we know the answer to that.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Love this idea especially with the proposed cast!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Umm.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I can't see it being relevant or funny .. it was the cast and the fact it was a short 30 minute TV/radio show that made it work. There were also lots of people alive who lived and fought in WWII when it was broadcast and only three terrestrial TV channels. I can't see how you'd jazz it up to make it more interesting to today's cinema going generation ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It's a bit like trying to relive old times, they're never the same again, and so it's better just to let the past be. Same with TV programmes, and films.

• It will be better with more cgi and 3d
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Should be left alone.

Those who enjoy the original probably won't like the remake, as "It's just not the same without ^insert original cast^, and you don't need all the extra CGI".

And the younger, "new" audience with think it out-dated.

All IMO.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Cast looks good, but will probably be shit. For the reasons @mike_l @chillidoggy and @Fretwired have said. Remakes almost never work IMO

I loved the original as a kid-still makes me chuckle when I catch it nowadays too.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I went to see the live show a few years back (with Dirty Den off Eastenders as Pvt Walker) and it was actually very good. I think the scripts are good and with a good cast can work, even today.
    Unfortunately, I suspect that the Big Screen treatment might be less successful. There was a film made of the original Dad's Army, which wasn't as good as the series. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't even like the original series.
    My V key is broken
  • I love the original, but this will not be good imo.

Im intrigued OP that you didnt like US remakes? Which in particular? The US Office was much much  better, better as was Shameless. Inbetweeners was different but watchable. Red dwarf was rubbish!

• @lustycourtier I refer in particular to the "Don't tell him, Pike!" episode. I've watched the original so many times, but that line always makes me guffaw even though I know it's coming. The US copy was just lame, IMO.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • @lustycourtier I refer in particular to the "Don't tell him, Pike!" episode. I've watched the original so many times, but that line always makes me guffaw even though I know it's coming. The US copy was just lame, IMO.
    Ah Ive never seen the US version?!?
  • Ouch. Dont tell him Henderson?!?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Wake me up when a film is announced that isn't a sequel, reboot or remake.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    dogload said:
    There was a film made of the original Dad's Army, which wasn't as good as the series. 
    Because the makers stretched a 30 minute format into a film which forced them into using too much slapstick comedy. The episode with Philip Madoc as a U-Boat commander was a classic .. you can't make a decent film out of the format.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!