Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Mods/conversion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1229
    I took the reverb and trem off channel one and on mine at least that had more of an effect than the nfb, which I then reverted back to the 68 value. 
    Is it too bassy on both channels or just channel one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678 said:
    I took the reverb and trem off channel one and on mine at least that had more of an effect than the nfb, which I then reverted back to the 68 value. 
    Is it too bassy on both channels or just channel one?
    TBH I generally only play the Custom channel; I'll check the other one.

I think the Reverb is really nice so I wouldn't really want to take it off. I've read quite a bit about the reverb tank being orientated incorrectly; how do you know which is the right way?

I'd prefer an amp tech to do any mods for me; not sure there is one in my area (North West) that is familiar with the issues and mods on this unit.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1260
    I replaced the EU-spec PCB-based tremelo circuit with an opto-coupler one, and I changed the shitty IC filter caps to F&Ts.  There was still some hiss, but much, much better than stock.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1229
    The reverb would stay on the vintage channel it’s just the way they’ve shared the reverb and trem across the two channels that makes a lot of noise. 
    The custom channel has a resistor tacked on to the pcb that sets a minimum bass level, removing that lets you take the bass lower
  • Bringing this thread back from the dead!

a) Has anyone modded their 68 CDR to reduce the really high noise floor? 

I know its something to do with the increased negative feedback in the amp; but playing it at low volumes the hiss is almost as loud as the guitar.

b) Its also super bassy; I'm not bothered about the mid bump on the Celestion V but I have the bass on lowest it will go and its still very bassy. Would a speaker change correct this?

c) Finally - has anyone used an attenuator for these amps? I'd be nice to play it at lower volumes with a bit more control. At this moment in time not particularly interested in downsizing to a Princeton; mainly for the hassle!

At the moment I am not gigging, and the HX Stomp in the house means it doesn't get a lot of use - but am loathe to sell it because I love it, and also I hope my gigging or recording days aren't over just yet!

Cheeeers
    I use a Palmer Power Pad PDI06 Mk2 with mine, its pretty good, got it used off ebay for around a hundred quid.

I got my CDR off a fellow fretboard member who had already modded it and implemented the tremolo pcb and a few other mods for better reliability along with the reverb being removed from the custom channel. Also I ended up pulling the tubes out for the custom channel as I only ever use the vintage channel.

Mine is quite bass heavy with certain speakers.