Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

dSLR equivalent of a Les paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

my 2p worth

£2000 ... for why? You don't need to spend that at all. Go used. And take up the very good suggestion of having a forumite or a guitar playing friend accompany you. Let is know where you are.

Where will you play? A good amp, as mentioned already, should be on your list. You don't need many watts if at home. That's another conversation.

If you want to appreciate tone / fine instruments and drool then here's a good channel .. Greg show-cases guitars that he sells:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GregsGuitars/videos

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with everything Monquixote said.

Nothing wrong with spending £2k on the right guitar, just be aware that a new £1800 LP Standard bought new will become £1300 in 2 years, whereas a used £1800 R7 (that's the Custom Shop 1957 reissue Goldtop) will still be worth £1800 or so forever, potentially more. AND the CS guitar will be a better instrument 90% of the time; the best ones are really exceptional.

I'm not necessarily saying it's happening here, but a lot of guitarists suffer from believing that a £500 LP Studio is all anyone ever needs, largely because that's what they have and they can't see themselves spending £1500+ on a real one. That's fine, and if you go and try some you might find you can't tell the difference. They're the lucky ones imo because they don't crave the guitars that require serious cash to get into...! Personally, I think all un-bound LPs look awful, and the R7 is the only model in the whole range I would really consider buying, but that's because I love goldtops and prefer big necks.

You're also dead right about the guitar/amp/player split. A great player on a cheap guitar will still sound great, and a rubbish player will still be rubbish even playing a 59 LP through any amp you choose. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the best if you can justify it to yourself. I got my first Gibson after only a year or so of playing and it helped me improve far quicker than I would've with just my Squier Strat.

I'd definitely budget at least £250 for an amp as well if you don't already have something half-decent (again, the best guitar in the world won't sound good through a cheapy beginners' amp). Something Like a Fender Mustang 2 would give you a huge number of sounds to play with, or if you just want the tones in that clip then something like a Laney VC15 or Fender Blues Junior would get you there very nicely. Easily picked up around that price if you go used.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A lot of the player's tone in the clip is to do with his touch. He's playing straight-forward pentatonic lines but has quite sophisticated phrasing, a nice vibrato and excellent control of playing dynamics.

I suspect he would sound very similar using a less expensive guitar.

That said, if you want to spend some serious money on a better guitar, I see no reason why you shouldn't.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but if you lived in my part of the country, I'd be happy to accompany you on a guitar buying expedition. Maybe a forumite nearer to you could assist?

I agree with this. I might even stick my neck out here and say the guy would have a similar sound and feel on a strat.
    A good player will generally shine on whatever they use.

Monquixote has some very good points too.

The amp question is worth visiting again as well. What amp does the op have?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5088
    edited September 2013
    A lot of very good points have been made and, don't worry, I will not repeat them.  If you buy a Les Paul, new or used, [and why not as you would like one], one piece of advice I can give is to take it to a good tech and get it setup to suit you.  If you are in London, I can recommend Charlie Chandler otherwise someone on this forum will know a tech in your area.  Another vital requirement for Les Paul owners is a good strap.  Les Pauls are usually heavy guitars, a good strap will spread the weight over a large area and thus spare your back!  And always remember it is your guitar, you do not have to justify its purchase to anyone except yourself.  Just play it and enjoy it whether your requirements are strumming a few chords at an office outing singalong or playing 'Eruption' at your local open night jam.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. It seems that second hand is the way to go. 

I'm not welded to the idea of spending £2k....I just had in mind that if the consensus of advice here was that I would need to be spending at that sort of level, £2k would be my ceiling. It seems that quite a few here are of the view that I don't need to spend that much...especially if I go second hand, which is great.

On the question of whether or not I "must have a Gibson"......emphatically NO. I was using "Les Paul" as a lazy abbreviation for "twin humbucker guitar with lots of sustain." I actually find Gibson LP's a little blingy and would more naturally gravitate to a more understated aesthetic, all other things being equal. I wouldn't rule out a Gibson but it is not a must have. Resale would be easier with a Gibson but if I'm going second hand, I'd be prepared to risk some depreciation on another brand.

On the question of amp, I have a Fender Blues Junior which I'm rather disappointed with. But that's a whole new thread......

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2437

photek said:
    Monquixote is spot on.
    +1
  • Agreed on blues junior. Really doesn't sound great, I much prefer the hot rod deluxe for cleans or... Well, pretty much anything else for drive!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader
    jellyroll said:
    On the question of whether or not I "must have a Gibson"......emphatically NO. I was using "Les Paul" as a lazy abbreviation for "twin humbucker guitar with lots of sustain." I actually find Gibson LP's a little blingy and would more naturally gravitate to a more understated aesthetic, all other things being equal. I wouldn't rule out a Gibson but it is not a must have. Resale would be easier with a Gibson but if I'm going second hand, I'd be prepared to risk some depreciation on another brand.

OK, in which case it starts to become quite interesting. 

If you are not wedded to the idea of it being a Gibson there are some really interesting guitars out there which due to not having the huge brand recognition of the big G can be had at fantastic prices.

My top pick would be Herritage. They are made in a former Gibson factory, by former Gibson employees and are phenomenal guitars which can be had for very reasonable second hand prices due to not having the right headstock. 

Other things to look out for would be small UK manufacturers for example Feline, Martin Booth, Vanquish, Morgan. All of which have popped up on the forum at various times and sometimes for silly prices. 

• Other things to look out for would be small UK manufacturers for example Feline, Martin Booth, Vanquish, Morgan. All of which have popped up on the forum at various times and sometimes for silly prices. 
    Wow! Just looked at some of those brands online. Martyn Booth's look lovely. And the Vanquish.  
    tFB Trader
    Photek just sold a Vanquish.

I believe @TTony might be persuaded to part with his Nathan Sheppard. (though I'm not sure of the construction and how LP like it is)
  • If I understand Photek's thread and the link within, he was seeking £1,300 for the Vanquish through the forum, didn't sell it so sold it to a trader who is now asking £2,000 for it? 

I understand that the trader is there to make a profit, but that does demonstrate the point you were making about buying through the forum. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12199
    edited September 2013

I recommend buying a used "commodity" professional guitar (Eg Gibson LP, USA strat). Don't buy new unless you find a new price close to or lower than normal used prices. e.g. Thomann new prices for 335s are only a little more than people ask for used ones here

This has worked for me: you get to try it at home for a few months, no hopeless one-shot attempt to try it in a shop, over time you get used to the extra quality and adapt your playing. At that point, you can sell with zero loss if you have fine-tuned your tastes and feel like a change. I tried buying the £300 ones and fiddling about with new pickups, etc, it went exactly like your link - it can cost the same as a pro guitar in the end after upgrading all the bits one at a time, but still be worth only about £300 to sell.

Unlike digital kit, if you do this right, you never lose money, you can always get your cash back

tFB Trader
    jellyroll said:
    If I understand Photek's thread and the link within, he was seeking £1,300 for the Vanquish through the forum, didn't sell it so sold it to a trader who is now asking £2,000 for it? 

I understand that the trader is there to make a profit, but that does demonstrate the point you were making about buying through the forum. 
    Yes indeed. 

That's not to say everything on the classifieds is a bargain. There are a few things up at a mental price, but you do get the occasional bargain.