silly question about buffers

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 322
I was just wondering where was the best place to put a buffer in an effects chain? I see a lot of posts talking about putting a buffer at the start of the chain to prevent high end loss but does it make more sense to have it at the endof the chain once the signal has been through the pedals to restore high end before the signal hits the amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    restore high end
    Buffers don't do this. 

If you've one buffer and not a whole load of pedals, best put the buffer first.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17909
    tFB Trader
    Stick the buffer at the start unless you've got anything that hates buffers like a Fuzz Face.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Stick the buffer at the start unless you've got anything that hates buffers like a Fuzz Face.

This
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    you cant restore what has been lost, the aim to to minimise the loss
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    I prefer the buffer at the end, unless there's something massively tone-sucking which it has to go before. For some reason it sounds more consistent and natural.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Buff your signal regularly usually at the beginning and the end of your chain. Move things around and use your ears.