SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Gibson SG Special / DISINTEGRATED Greco LP DC Jr

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
edited July 2023 in Guitars £
Laydeez and Djentlemen

A pair of bargaintastic double-cuts for your delectation and amusement.  

***SOLD***

First up is this tastefully modded Gibson SG Special, 2007 vintage, acquired by me from @amigo of this parish c.6 months ago, and acquired by him from @Kuras before that.  The latest sale ad is here, and cribbing shamelessly from it:

It was previously advertised here:
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206141/sold-2007-gibson-sg-special
Everything is as in that advert, with a setup added in the meantime and D'Addario NYXL 10-42. Copied from there, with due copyright noted, and whatever he says:

There was a headstock fracture from when it fell from a Hercules stand. Luckily it was a very clean, small fracture. The gap between the wood was barely a millimetre wide. This was expertly repaired by the fantastic guys at Waghorn Guitars in Bristol. They did a splendid job.
- One of the tuners got knocked off during the fall, I couldn’t get hold of a Gibson tuner at the time so I ended up using a Schaller.
- I replaced the knobs with witch hats, I do not have the originals.
- I replaced with bridge with a Gotoh tune-o-matic, I no longer have the original.
- I added surrounds to the humbuckers.

The neck shape is described as Rounded '50. Official measurements (not by me, as I haven't a clue how to ascertain such arcana) are 0.83"/21cm at the first fret.

- Nut width: 42.3mm
- String spacing at nut: 35.9mm
- Depth at first fret: 20.9mm
- Width at 12th fret: 52.6mm
- Depth at 12th fret:24.3mm

The break/repair is virtually undetectable and the thing is solid as a rock. Get your inner Angus on.

Comes in a Hiscox hard case.

£400 collected/delivered in or around Central or North London/Herts, or we can talk about posting.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
    edited July 2023
    SOLD

Second is something really rather special: this Uber-saucy Greco Les Paul DC Junior.

Again, scored about 6 months ago, this time from @intactradio.  His advert is here, and to crib shamelessly once more:

I believe this is from sometime in the late 1970s, made in Japan.  It has a set neck and has had a neck repair at the heel, but it's super-solid.  The guitar is an absolute beast and is the closest you'll get to a double-cut Les Paul Junior without spending nuts money.  I've no idea why Gibson haven't reissued an affordable version of the Les Paul Junior double-cut as it's one of their coolest models.  Anyway, low action, straight neck, usual dings you'd expect for a 40-something year old guitar, and sounds like a monster.  Comes with a hard case.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  

It's got a chunky, 50's stylee neck and some heft to it - around 9 lbs.

The heel repair looks worse in the pics than it really is (doesn't affect playing or stability in any way), and it really is rock-solid.  Few dings here and there, and what looks like a Bigsby bite on the front to add to the patina and general all round mojo-ness.

One thing @intactradio forget to mention was that he'd stuck a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in there, which howls, growls and yowls like a horny cat on a bag of your favourite stimulant.

I genuinely love love love it, but it's basically been knocked off its perch by acquisition of a holy grail LP Special DC (NGD thread incoming), I remain the custodian of a reassuringly expensive John Lennon LP Jr, and need to re-inject liquidity in the GAS tanks.

Comes in a battered but serviceable hard case (or a gig bag, if you'd prefer).

A frankly ridiculous £375 collected/delivered in or around Central or North London/Herts, or we can talk about posting.

SOLD 1/7/23

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7450
    edited June 2023
    Im getting worried about you - you love these two guitars. You aren't about to buy a Tuba or something stupid are you ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1725
    Pm'd!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GoFish said:
    Pm'd!
    Replied!

SG on hold.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Im getting worried about you - you love these two guitars. You aren't about to buy a Tuba or something stupid are you ?
    Taking a Pol Pot/Year Zero approach to these matters.

And you KNOW what I bagged last night :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    I paid £430 for my SG Faded in 2016, followed £100 on a Hiscox case

Won't comment on the price as per forum rules but feel free to make up your own minds =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2023
    roberty said:
    I paid £430 for my SG Faded in 2016, followed £100 on a Hiscox case

Won't comment on the price as per forum rules but feel free to make up your own minds

They are different guitars though aren't they Roberto ?  - I thought the Special was all mahogany whereas the Faded had a maple neck ? (I could be wrong of course)

Think you might want to reword your comment though as I'd say that is commenting on price when in reality this one is priced well imho (yours is a lovely looking guitar though and if you want to sell it for £430 I'll be all over it :-) )
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    how cool is that greco 

glwts 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2651
    Nothing to see here... (look away! look away!)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    DrCornelius said:

They are different guitars though aren't they Roberto ?  - I thought the Special was all mahogany whereas the Faded had a maple neck ? (I could be wrong of course)
    Mine is definitely mahogany: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Faded.aspx
    DrCornelius said:

this one is priced well imho
    I agree wholeheartedly
    roberty said:
    DrCornelius said:

Mine is definitely mahogany: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Faded.aspx
    DrCornelius said:

this one is priced well imho
    I agree wholeheartedly
    Apologies old chap, I must have misunderstood your post. Very cool guitar you have there though 
    how cool is that greco 

glwts 
    Cooler than a naked eskimo, on an ice floe :sunglasses: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13310
    I have to say that SG is a giveaway.  Unless my eyesight is now worse than I thought, I can't see a repaired headstock fracture.
    Offset said:
    I have to say that SG is a giveaway.  Unless my eyesight is now worse than I thought, I can't see a repaired headstock fracture.
    It's there, it's just so microscopic that I can't get it to show on a photo.  Dead giveaway is the different tuner (which I thought kinda cool), and knowing of the fracture I certainly didn't want to try and pass it off as anything else. 

Legal ethics (and other oxymorons) :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4905

The Faded T from 2017 and 2018, and the Tributes which succeeded them, have maple.  The older ones were mahogany.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

The Faded T from 2017 and 2018, and the Tributes which succeeded them, have maple.  The older ones were mahogany.
    Ah cheers and that makes sense as my sons one was from that sort of time 
  • Oh my I would definitely have that Gibson. Bargain 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Is the jnr still available?
    Is the jnr still available?
    Yup: still here.  Plenty of interest but no money shot as yet.

Waiting list for the SG...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Aaaaand Greco sold, subject to fine details…
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer