ao.com

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
edited October 2014 in Off Topic

A thumbs up for this company. Got back off hols to find the washing machine bearings making more noise than ever before, so I decided to get a new one.

I'd used ao.com before, so I ordered their cheap-shit Beko washer on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning at 8am, Mrs receives a text, telling her it was on its way and would be delivered before 9am. 40 minutes later the delivery driver phoned to say he'd be there in 20 minutes, and sure enough, he was. He single-handedly moved the new machine into our hallway, and all for £219, no delivery charge.

The washer (at the moment) is perfect. Does everything it says on the tin. Well done to ao,com, brilliant service, and cracking price, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Do they do toasters?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    I used them to order a freezer a couple of years ago - I agree - a good firm to deal with.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    mike_l said:
    Do they do toasters?
    Good point, I'll check.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Oh ta. Will keep this in mind when we upgrade the washer/dryer in our flat for when we have tenants moving in (hopefully) next year. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    That's a coincidence - we bought a new washing machine from ao immediately after returning from holiday too! (last weekend).

Very similar experience - we get a text confirming the delivery window on the morning, and then a follow up phone call when they are on their way.

If only all companies could be like this.

We bought a washer-dryer, as we don't have room for a separate tumble dryer, and we've had enough of drying clothes on radiators!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Hmm, I shall have to have a looksy at their site. Got a new kitchen in the pipeline and we're going to need a new oven & hob.
    Speak as I find, they were excellent!

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    edited October 2014

I'd used ao.com before, so I ordered their cheap-shit Beko washer

The washer (at the moment) is perfect. Does everything it says on the tin. Well done to ao,com, brilliant service, and cracking price, too.

Well done, I got a Beko washing machine about 3 years back, it's still going strong and the clothes seem washed to me. I just think of washing machines as a motor, that spins a drum and lets water in. Why anyone spends £3,149.00 for a Miele at John Lewis is beyond me.
    :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Sounds like a website for Italian Americans.
    My V key is broken
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    mellowsun said:
    That's a coincidence - we bought a new washing machine from ao immediately after returning from holiday too! (last weekend).

Very similar experience - we get a text confirming the delivery window on the morning, and then a follow up phone call when they are on their way.

If only all companies could be like this.

We bought a washer-dryer, as we don't have room for a separate tumble dryer, and we've had enough of drying clothes on radiators!
    Which one, and how much? We will need one for the flat for tenants, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. The current one is ok, but a bit temperamental and you have to have be the washing machine whisperer to make sure the program select dial works.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    You big poof, you should have replaced the bearings like I did.  Piece of piss for a man with your mechanical talents.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    edited October 2014
    Indeed it is, but the missus didn't fancy waiting until she got to the bottom of her skiddies drawer, or simply ran out of her other clothes, before she got a working machine.

Also, with the way my luck is running these days, I'd have dropped something on my foot, or fallen over some of the bits and ended being hospitalised!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Emp_Fab said:
    You big poof, you should have replaced the bearings like I thought about doing.  Piece of piss for a man with your mechanical talents.

edited for truth.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Good prices, but they pissed me off with spam calls a year down the line looking for extended warranty sales. Perhaps I missed a check box. 
    Were they spam calls to your mobile? If so, I've found verbal abuse usually does the trick. If it's a landline, I usually make up some fictious number for an online purchase.

edited October 2014
    Emp_Fab said:
    You big poof, you should have spent three months on the Internet researching which kind of far-eastern, shitbox bearings and seals might fit, put your feet up over winter, maintaining it's too cold to do anything (Wales, remember), disconnected the water pipe to the machine but forgetting to isolate it thereby flooding the kitchen and fucking up the newly-laid laminate flooring, cleared up the mess, ripped up the laminate, spent another three weeks researching what kind of replacement laminate was required, put your feet up for a few months while the new laminate gets acclimatised (i.e. gets pissed on by Pugsley), and scratched your balls for a week or so, before laying the replacement laminate. By that time it'll be winter again, and therefore to cold to do anything. Come spring-time, up-end the machine, and immediately go for a cup of tea. Return to find there was still water left in it, and it's leaked out and fucked up the new laminate flooring. Repeat previous exercise of laminate flooring replacement and pug-acclimatisation process before ripping the washing machine apart to find out the crappy bearings you bought don't fit. Spend three weeks on the Internet researching a better quality bearing and seal kit. Sit on your arse for three months because it's winter by now, and it's too cold to do anything (see Wales, above). Spend 6 months in intensive care when wife finally cracks, and beats you severely with an left-over and somewhat 'fragrant' piece of laminate flooring. On being discharged from hospital, place order for new washing machine with a.o.com. for £219, and have it delivered the following day.

Piece of piss for a man with your mechanical talents.
    Re-edited for greater accuracy.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lmao. Excellent work @chillidoggy. >:D<
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    joneve said:
    Which one, and how much? We will need one for the flat for tenants, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. The current one is ok, but a bit temperamental and you have to have be the washing machine whisperer to make sure the program select dial works.  
    We got a Bosch, as our last Bosch had been going strong for 15 years without any servicing or problems. It was £550.

There are cheaper ones out there. I think the Indesit one is supposed to be pretty good.
    Seems to be totally hit and miss whether you get a machine that lasts or not tbh. When I was at my old place we bought a Miele, based on the 10 year warranty. It's over 15 years old now and has never needed any repairs afaik. Then you read about a Bosch that cost two thirds the price doing the same thing ^. Then there's the argument that it's cheaper to buy a dirt cheap one and replace it every few years when it dies. Beats me * shrug.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited October 2014