Poopot's Cover Challenge #24 - the letter K

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    Going to get some time in next week for mine, right up to the deadline like usual.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    Going to get some time in next week for mine, right up to the deadline like usual.... 
    Spoke too soon here, no way I can get one done unfortunately. I will try harder for L!
  • IMC1980 said:
    IMC1980 said:
    Spoke too soon here, no way I can get one done unfortunately. I will try harder for L!
    What would it have been?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    is there any chance we could move the entry deadline back a week to 29th instead of 22nd? My son is off to Uni next Saturday and so next week it busy getting stuff ready for that.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    is there any chance we could move the entry deadline back a week to 29th instead of 22nd? My son is off to Uni next Saturday and so next week it busy getting stuff ready for that.
    I'm okay with that
    edited September 2023
    Habanero said:
    IMC1980 said:
    IMC1980 said:
    What would it have been?
    I was going to do Kids in America, but I also have an original track I am working on that just needs the solo adding which should land this weekend and then I have to mix. The cover in it's current state is a rough guitar take against a basic drum beat so there is just no way I can get the time in to do the whole thing to a standard that I would be happy with. I fucked off my "J" entry because the vocal takes weren't quite right and didn't have time to re-track. Track was done otherwise! I know exactly what I will do for "L" though and will make the time for it.
  • IMC1980 said:
    What would it have been?
    I was going to do Kids in America, but I also have an original track I am working on that just needs the solo adding which should land this weekend and then I have to mix. The cover in it's current state is a rough guitar take against a basic drum beat so there is just no way I can get the time in to do the whole thing to a standard that I would be happy with. I fucked off my "J" entry because the vocal takes weren't quite right and didn't have time to re-track. Track was done otherwise! I know exactly what I will do for "L" though and will make the time for it.
    So what was the J? Can you tell I’m intrigued how people decide which tunes they do. I had an early ‘L’ choice, but have abandoned that as one part would have been too difficult. Now have a new but more obscure selection.
    Habanero said:
    IMC1980 said:
    What would it have been?
    So what was the J? Can you tell I’m intrigued how people decide which tunes they do. I had an early ‘L’ choice, but have abandoned that as one part would have been too difficult. Now have a new but more obscure selection.
    Sure, "J" was a cover of Jesus He Knows Me. I hated the Ghost version but mine ended up quite similar.....
  • @IMC1980 I was very close to recording that very track (I was going for slightly heavier than the Ghost version which I do like). It was concern about the vocals that made me change my mind.

I also have a complete backing track for Jolene. I was going to get my wife to sing on it but shelved it due to @idiotwind doing a great version and also her general lack of motivation

FWIW I am hoping to finish Killer (Adamski) this weekend and, if I've time, a metal version of Kill This Love by Blackpink provided I can get my downpicking slick enough. I really should do the latter one is as K-pop for the letter K seems appropriate 
    @IMC1980 I was very close to recording that very track (I was going for slightly heavier than the Ghost version which I do like). It was concern about the vocals that made me change my mind.

I also have a complete backing track for Jolene. I was going to get my wife to sing on it but shelved it due to @idiotwind doing a great version and also her general lack of motivation

FWIW I am hoping to finish Killer (Adamski) this weekend and, if I've time, a metal version of Kill This Love by Blackpink provided I can get my downpicking slick enough. I really should do the latter one is as K-pop for the letter K seems appropriate 
    That would have been a cool face-off if we had both done the song! To be fair I like the music on the Ghost version, just can't stand the guy's voice. 
  • IMC1980 said:
    @IMC1980 I was very close to recording that very track (I was going for slightly heavier than the Ghost version which I do like). It was concern about the vocals that made me change my mind.

That would have been a cool face-off if we had both done the song! To be fair I like the music on the Ghost version, just can't stand the guy's voice. 
    That would have been interesting. I imagine one version would be more refined and professional but still rock, and the other would sound edgier and...  sort of Nevermind Vs Bleach 

Totally get the not keen on the vocals. It makes their sound unique but controlled mix voice isn't the best for rock. A few years ago I recorded a Christmas composition challenge in the style of Ghost. It felt horrible trying to sing just in mix and not let rip
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 588
    I might have something ... after weeks of getting nothing done because life killed inspiration and life itself I finally thought of something on Monday. Now of course I am working until Friday. Think I can finish it on Saturday if I can have a days extension ... it'll be shit but at least it'll be "something"
  • Bezzer said:
    I might have something ... after weeks of getting nothing done because life killed inspiration and life itself I finally thought of something on Monday. Now of course I am working until Friday. Think I can finish it on Saturday if I can have a days extension ... it'll be shit but at least it'll be "something"
    I've extended the deadline as requested to Fri 29th @Bezzer ;
    Never noticed that, marvellous
    I will take that extra week as well @flying_pie - should have something done soon. 

OK, mine has been sent in, I like it ... your mileage may vary! Ha ha

Oh, and I don't know if it's cheating to get an A list American pop starlet to sing on your track but there you go ...
  • @Bezzer in the playlist 
  • Just to get something in, with the help of a midi file for the bass, I thought I'd do a basic strumming version and pick out the basic melody on guitar, as I'll never get near the full complexity.

Blimey it's got about 50 billion chords.

I'll be able to send something, but I suspect I've completely murdered the song, so I'll call it 'Killing Queen' :)
    It's not a competition.
  • Sent mine in.

It's not a competition.
  • I've just tried my "back up plan" entry of recording an acoustic song however, it sounds absolutely atrocious therefore I really don't want to share that. K is a very hard letter, I only found 3 songs in my Spotify Liked tracks beginning with K that I liked enough. I had to abandon Killer Queen as I couldn't reach the "drive you willllld" bit but if I lowered it so I could, the rest was too low. Oh and the guitar parts were too hard for me, i'm not a very clean precise player.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic