A Gig’s a Gig, Right?

What's Hot
ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
So my new band get to play our second gig next weekend - at the village fete who’s village hall we rehearse in!  As I say, a gig’s a gig, right?  We’ve had a bit if a hiatus since our first gig nearly a year ago, partly due to busy lives, and partly due to the keyboard player undergoing quadruple heart bypass surgery. I sh!t you not!

anyway, the quandry is, do we play it straight, or do I rise to the occasion and scream, “HELLO, GLASONBURY!!!!!” As we take to the stage?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    Surely it’s “ Hello Village People!”
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    Play like there's 20000 people screaming your name. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    The advice I was given in business is “dress for the job you want, not the job you’ve got”. That’s what you have to do, even when you could count the audience on your fingers.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3684
    Entertain. Impress….  take the pretty women home.

A gig’s a gig, Give ‘em your best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Surely it’s “ Hello Village People!”
    With my previous band we played a gig where we opened with YMCA dressed as the Village People, and we started with an announcement over the PA saying that the band couldn’t make it  tonight so some people from the village would be stepping in!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    The advice I was given in business is “dress for the job you want, not the job you’ve got”. That’s what you have to do, even when you could count the audience on your fingers.
    Oh, I agree. I always dress up for a gig. Not like fancy dress, or anything, but make an effort.  I figure the audience have made an effort to turn up, even if it just means they’ve paused their game long enough to come and see us, so they deserve for us to do the same. It’s just a personal thing,  but I hate seeing bands shamble on in the same jeans and cargo shorts they loaded in wearing 
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
    edited July 2023
    !fastonebaz said:
    Play like there's 20000 people screaming your name. 
    I’ve got a recording of that!  :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    …or do I rise to the occasion and scream, “HELLO, GLASONBURY!!!!!”…
    Surely it should be ‘Hello Cleveland!’
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    HAL9000 said:
    You can just write the name of the place of a piece of paper, stick it to the back of your guitar and shout "Hello..." (awkward pause while you blatantly look at the back of your guitar....)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I take anything these days as gigs are so infrequent post Covid :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    HAL9000 said:
    You can just write the name of the place of a piece of paper, stick it to the back of your guitar and shout "Hello..." (awkward pause while you blatantly look at the back of your guitar....)
    My son works for the company that runs two big venues in Birmingham and backstage on the walls in six foot high letters is the word BIRMINGHAM so it's the last thing the artist sees before hitting the stage. Yours is funnier though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Roland said:
    The advice I was given in business is “dress for the job you want, not the job you’ve got”. 
    ...and yet when I went for that interview at Dudley council being dressed as Batman did me no favours. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Roland said:
    Oh, I agree. I always dress up for a gig. Not like fancy dress, or anything, but make an effort.  I figure the audience have made an effort to turn up, even if it just means they’ve paused their game long enough to come and see us, so they deserve for us to do the same. It’s just a personal thing,  but I hate seeing bands shamble on in the same jeans and cargo shorts they loaded in wearing 
    I abhor seeing people gig in cargo shorts especially paired with crocs or those flip flop type shoes 
    Anything , just anything is better than that .
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    HAL9000 said:
    My son works for the company that runs two big venues in Birmingham and backstage on the walls in six foot high letters is the word BIRMINGHAM so it's the last thing the artist sees before hitting the stage. Yours is funnier though. 
    I wish I could take full credit but it's actually from the Spinal Tap episode of The Simpsons
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Roland said:
    I abhor seeing people gig in cargo shorts especially paired with crocs or those flip flop type shoes 
    Anything , just anything is better than that .
    Don't tell @Clarky ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    HAL9000 said:

"Hello...um... Madeinkorea!"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom