Thinking about getting into 3D printing?

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Got the mounting ring in (with pickup)

This is a very practical application. Not difficult to argue its usefulness 

I'll round the top edge off a bit with sandpaper 

Sad sofa for scale

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27071
    Hmm, looks like I didn't quite get the countersinks right - still, not bad at all for a first attempt :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19322
    The hardware & output process are fairly straightforward, but how much CAD programming is involved in the design process before you get to the output stage?
    Hmm, looks like I didn't quite get the countersinks right - still, not bad at all for a first attempt :)
    They are excellent. Can sort the countersink out no sweat
    edited July 2023
    The hardware & output process are fairly straightforward, but how much CAD programming is involved in the design process before you get to the output stage?
    Depends what you use. I use TinkerCAD, which is a free browser-based 3D CAD program. Much smaller learning curve than pro stuff like Fusion 360, and it's blindingly easy to come up with great functional results. The pickup rings up there took me about half an hour for the initial version, and then an hour of tweaks and prototypes.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19322
    Thanks, good advice. I used to work in a department that also had a 3D scanner that could output files direct to a 3D printer, laser cutter, waterjet cutter etc.
    That's the kind of thing I'd love to have, but it was thought a bit too extravagant to give me as a leaving gift  ;)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    I never knew I needed a 3D printer!

How much are the material costs and are there any other ongoing costs. It seems really cheap!

I’d love to see some more examples of peoples creations!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    I never knew I needed a 3D printer!

How much are the material costs and are there any other ongoing costs. It seems really cheap!

I’d love to see some more examples of peoples creations!
    Most PLA is £15-20/kg, depending on colour/composition/etc. Starts to get a bit more expensive with PETG, and then more so with ABS/Nylon, and when you start looking at the carbon fibre- or metal-infused stuff....yeah. Also, there's a "toxic fume" issue with some of the hotter materials like ABS, which means you need an enclosure with air filtering.

There are some maintenance costs for wear and tear on nozzles, and perhaps upgrades (eg all-metal hot ends, or hardened steel nozzles to handle the more abrasive materials), but they're not particularly expensive and tend to last a fair while.
    <space for hire>
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16919
    Those rings look good.   

I had some printed for my John Birch when I got some original pickups for it.   I think I ended up spraying or epoxy coating them to get a bit more shine on it
    WezV said:
    Those rings look good.   

I had some printed for my John Birch when I got some original pickups for it.   I think I ended up spraying or epoxy coating them to get a bit more shine on it
    I have a few spares to experiment with so might try something along these lines. I will definitely countersink the holes and round the edges off for comfort. I'm mostly just chuffed that I can swap pickups easily now. It's a perfect fit 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What can I make with a 3D printer? Metal parts? Plastic? How big will they go? I assume you have to scan something first?

• SporkySporky Frets: 29056
    Mostly plastic, but there are industrial ones that do metal.

You don't have to scan anything first, you can just design what you want in a CAD package.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited July 2023
    What can I make with a 3D printer? Metal parts? Plastic? How big will they go? I assume you have to scan something first?
    Most printers are around 22.5cm - 25cm square beds, with 25-30cm vertical height.

And no, you don't have to scan anything first, you can just design anything in a 3D CAD package. Or...you can just download and print stuff that other people have designed:

https://printables.com/
    https://thingiverse.com/

There's a lot out there. And...if you can't find something out there that does exactly what you want, you can still edit and modify someone else's models.
    <space for hire>
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited July 2023
    Ok, so it can make anything within a box size of 22.5 x 22.5 x 30? As long as it’s plastic? If so, that’s pretty amazing, and also potentially useful, particularly for odd plastic mouldings that are NLA.

However, I know bugger-all about CAD, or how to operate it, which could prove to be a major hurdle.

Ok, so it can make anything within a box size of 22.5 x 22.5 x 30? As long as it’s plastic? If so, that pretty amazing, and also potentially useful, particularly for odd plastic mouldings that are NLA.
    Yep, basically.

For what it's worth, you can also get bigger printers - the Bambu P1P, P1S and X1 have 256x256x256mm build volumes, and the Elegoo Neptune 3 Max (just an example) has a build volume of 420x420x500mm.

And, as I said...if you're careful regarding fumes, you can also print in ABS, PETG, nylon and a bunch of other materials.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29056

However, I know bugger-all about CAD, or how to operate it, which could prove to be a major hurdle.
    There are a bazillion tutorials online for any given CAD package. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7353
    I'm waiting for 4d printing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Countersunk and sanded

I'm waiting for 4d printing. 
    A stitch in time
    edited July 2023
    @roberty - that's nice work, sir

How's it holding up to the tension? No creaking or cracking?
    <space for hire>
    @roberty - that's nice work, sir

How's it holding up to the tension? No creaking or cracking?
    Cheers. It seems perfectly happy to be there. Almost like it was made for it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom