Procrastination help

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
It's 2AM on the day the task is due in and I'm doing work I should have done a week ago. Genuinely cant seem to break the cycle that is created by being behind on stuff, anyone have any tips on getting stuff done rather than just saying you'll do it later? 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have some tips. Will tell you later... :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seriously, there is no magic. It's all the stuff you already know - prioritise, focus, cut the unnecessary, don't be a perfectionist if the task doesn't require it, etc. I personally know that I need to focus on one thing at a time ( not a multi-tasker)....perhaps you are the same. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can't help feeling that you've come to the wrong place for advice on combatting procrastination.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Now I'm in over my head at work and I have a mahoosive mortgage I find I don't procrastinate as much as I used to.

Use fear of failure to get you going. Plan stuff properly and become obsessed with reaching the mini goals.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Perhaps you are delaying on this project because you have hit a problem? Identify the problem. Can you work around it? Or just "park" that bit until later? Getting to the end of a project is everything....a half completed masterpiece is usually of little value whilst a finished job of ok quality will often suffice. Also, remember that the longer you take, the higher the expectations of the recipient.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Where's Emp, he knows all about procrastination.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2014
    Hertz32;25090" said:
    It's 2AM on the day the task is due in and I'm doing work I should have done a week ago. Genuinely cant seem to break the cycle that is created by being behind on stuff, anyone have any tips on getting stuff done rather than just saying you'll do it later?
    Yeah I can help you not procrastinate. You're going to die.

Every second is another slice of that long line you think is going to be your life. Every night time is a practice for your own eventual and inevitable big sleep, at the end of the day when you think of a eulogy for that day, what it meant for you and what happened to you in it, think that some day someone will outlast you, what will they say?

The longer you live the more you discover how little lasts without being treasured: cars, amps, guitars, friends, love, family. Even then these things can disappear. If you want to truly live your life for the time you've got it'll help to realise that you've simply got to engage in what you have to do, regardless of how unpleasant it is.

If you need help with that, that's straight forward too. Get up at 6am do a really hard work out, feel achievement and notice how much easier all those "tough" jobs now seem. As the old saying goes: "every day swallow a frog, anything after that is easy".. so find a frog.

If you have dreams don't wonder what will happen when you've fulfilled them, find out by doing 5 minutes of a task to help get you further along that road. Every time you day dream about them, do 5 minutes of a task to help you get there.

Replace any thoughts of natural abilities with the thought that you are hard working and determined.

Most importantly, after you've done all that (and it should feel very humbling), you've got a shot at achieving your potential, where you really didn't stand a chance before.

Celebrate everything you've got with everything you've, because it can be lost in an instant.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Bloody hell, cheers chaps! especially you @frankus :)  
    Honestly, the advice and wisdom on here is frankly astounding. 
    'Awibble'
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I'd have given you a wisdom for that Frank, had you not put the bit about the frog in. Plained churned my stomach, that did.

Oh, sod it, have a wisdom for the rest of it!

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    sew 'em back on...good as new in a couple of weeks
    tae be or not tae be
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    @Frankus !  Very positive and sound advice - have a well deserved Wisdom
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    ^ yeah excellent wise post Frankus
    tae be or not tae be
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    frankus;375402" said:

Yeah I can help you not procrastinate. You're going to die. 
    Gee.... thanks grumpy! ;)
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    All practice and no theory
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    Hertz32 said:
    It's 2AM on the day the task is due in and I'm on a guitar forum.
    :)