SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

ON HOLD -Epiphone Sunburst DOT - HEAVILY UPGRADED - OX4s/Montys

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12746
edited July 2023 in Guitars £
I recently acquired this from @darthed1981 of this parish and have enjoyed it massively, but now the project is complete that I needed it for, I'm realising that it doesn't do anything (other than the visuals needed for the project) that I don't have elsewhere. That said, as Ed will attest this was a particularly sweet Dot, that rings like a bell - even when it was stock.

However, this is now a long way from a standard Epi Dot... and before I revert it back to stock, I thought I'd offer it for sale as it sits in case someone wants it as-is.

The first thing that was done was a full fret job - it didn't play badly at all but I'm a picky bastard and so had a local luthier do a full number on the neck. So all the frets have been reseated, glued and then stoned/polished. Genuinely, it plays as well as any semi acoustic you can think of now... utterly incredible playing surface. Not just a quick change of strings and a fret polish - this cost £90 on its own...

The next job was the pots/loom - this has been replaced by a Monty's 50s loom. So correct CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switch and Monty's own brand caps (complete with a baseball cap logo on each...). These are topped with genuine Gibson knobs in black.

Finally the pickups... swapped out for a set of OX4 low wind PAF alikes (7.2k neck and 7.6k bridge) with nickel covers.

It comes with a particularly lovely Alvarez hard case.

I've spent *HUGE* amounts on this and I have kept the original parts, so could revert it to stock if necessary.

As it sits with the OX4s/Montys loom £450
Back to Stock £225

Would prefer collection/meet up as its a PITA to ship and nobody wants to pay for the price of a proper box, and insured shipping (can do, but its not included at this price). I'm based in Northants (near Kettering) and would be prepared to travel an hour if needed for a meet...

Pics tonight.
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12746
    Piccies…

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12746
    I’ve just made the fatal mistake of playing it through my studio rig… and it just sounds heavenly, and plays better than my last Gibson 335… so I’m putting it on hold. It’s a better instrument than the asking price and nobody is going to pay any more than that!!! 

Sorry to all interested parties 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2651
    impmann said:
    I’ve just made the fatal mistake of playing it through my studio rig… and it just sounds heavenly, and plays better than my last Gibson 335… so I’m putting it on hold. It’s a better instrument than the asking price and nobody is going to pay any more than that!!! 

Sorry to all interested parties 
    I think these guitars are greatly under rated. You are not the first to say that they preferred it to a Gibson. My local shop has both a cherry and a natural Dot from the 2000s and both play great. I am really tempted to snag one. If one was black then I wouldn't be hesitating.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13273
    Glad to see the Dot creating some happiness out there!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...