Amp Maintenence

CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360

It's on my mind that perhaps I should get one or two of my amps serviced/re-valved.

One of them I have had for a couple of years, bought second hand and the previous owner wasn't sure how old the valves were.  Not excessively gigged by me really.  Average one gig a month. 

I'm still happy with how it sounds, so the valves are probably still be in good shape, but is it still worth a service and trying out some new valves to see if it could sound even better?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    What amps are they?

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    My Cornford MK50 was the main one I was thinking about but also considering it with my Carrera.

I think the Carrera would be easier being cathode based so, from what I understand, doesn't need any biasing.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    CHrisP86 said:
    My Cornford MK50 was the main one I was thinking about but also considering it with my Carrera.

I think the Carrera would be easier being cathode based so, from what I understand, doesn't need any biasing.

Carrera is indeed cathode biased so you can change the valve without rebiasing, so you should be able to do this yourself.

The MK50 will need the bias checking when you change valves.

If you haven't changed the power valves since you had the amps, then it might be worth getting some new valve.

Other than this I would not expect the amps to need any further work.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Great, thanks for the advice.