I want this number plate!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    It seems to me that this is all part of this country's obsession with censorship. Whether the car was bought for the number plate or not, surely there are worse things going on which the media should be condemning? And is it anymore 'offensive' than Basil Fawlty's goose-stepping in The Germans?

Friday's Have I Got News For You panel seemed convinced on Clarkson's guilt - even though on this occasion he appears to have done nothing wrong.

Storm/tea cup....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'm boycotting Argentinian wine as a result of this.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I doubt it'll make any difference to the Chilli wine consumption though

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

No, but with any luck it will hasten their bankruptcy.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    They are already in default. Peronism basically destroyed what was once one of the world's most prosperous countries.
    So I could theoretically tip them over the edge?

Setting fire to their bogroll could put them over the edge

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I'm not sure we import Argentinian bog-roll, Mike.

Yep, but we burn theirs, firstly they got nothing to wipe with, and secondly we can sell them more, pushing them into bankruptcy.

Yes, I am evil

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    A BBC whistle blower claims they knew exactly what they were doing and when the plate was pointed out they laughed and carried on for 10 days before changing it. It ws deliberate and then went to the area where the Argentinian casualties were brought home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789559/top-gear-used-falklands-row-plate-10-days-warning-clarkson-told-controversy-week-switch.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    At the end of the day, who really gives a shit? Not me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    At the end of the day, who really gives a shit? Not me.
    Then Clarkeson and co should have said 'yes, we did it on purpose so sod off your argie tossers .. ' or words to that effect. What's the point in lying?

edited October 2014
    Who knows, Fret? Because he's under attack by the PC brigade wankers as usual?

Edit - yes, he should have just come clean if he knew. 

• chillidoggy;378155" said:
    Who knows, Fret? Because he's under attack by the PC brigade wankers as usual? 
    This pretty much sums up most TG controversies - people getting offended by something they've got no right being offended by, and using it as an excuse to pour scorn on a guy they probably don't like anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    I've previously objected to the Stephen Fry 'it's your fault for taking offense' theory but actually the reasons most people seem to dislike Clarkson boil down to the fact that he clearly supports the Conservatives, likes driving cars instead of cycling and won't tow the politically correct line.

He is not dissimilar to a right-wing Bill Hicks - not afraid of saying what he thinks - regardless of people's reactions. His 'crime' is being on the wrong side of politics to be considered 'cool'.

I don't necessarily identify with his politics (as I didn't with Bill Hicks - though I'm a massive fan) - but I admire his willingness to be straight about view of the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There you go, then.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Fretwired said:
    A BBC whistle blower claims they knew exactly what they were doing and when the plate was pointed out they laughed and carried on for 10 days before changing it. It ws deliberate and then went to the area where the Argentinian casualties were brought home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789559/top-gear-used-falklands-row-plate-10-days-warning-clarkson-told-controversy-week-switch.html
    Who's this whistleblower you mention? The producer, who has already been on the record numerous times stating exactly what happened? I don't see what's particularly damning about any of that new evidence - as they said, taking the plate off would be illegal so they only did so when they felt they had to.

The radio interview with James May on that Daily Fail link is worth watching.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Fretwired said:

Who's this whistleblower you mention? The producer, who has already been on the record numerous times stating exactly what happened? I don't see what's particularly damning about any of that new evidence - as they said, taking the plate off would be illegal so they only did so when they felt they had to.

The radio interview with James May on that Daily Fail link is worth watching.
    The official line was they didn't realise and removed the plate as soon as the found out which is clearly a lie. They changed the plate in the end and will face prosecution. I'm usually a fan of Clarkeson but I'm getting tired of his pranks and then the cover up and the 'I must protect the golden goose that pays my salary' .. he lied. I've lost respect for Clarkeson .. it has nothing to do with the PC brigade and is all about protecting his job at the BBC. This only came out as a BBC employee spilled the beans and they had to come clean.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    That's a different John Ketley of fish though, they still didn't buy it with the intention of upsetting people.

Clarkson gets my goat too, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

No such thing as bad publicity, eh?