Excessive sticky threads

What's Hot
Currently there are seven announcement threads at the top of Off Topic, which seems a bit mad to me.  Could announcements perhaps be merged into one "announcements" thread ?  I haven't checked all the other sections but I would imagine a tidy-up is overdue.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18813
    I say! Steady on now. Next you'll be wanting to get rid of the 'Guitar Show 2018' in the Playing section.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Emp_Fab said:
    Could announcements perhaps be merged into one "announcements" thread?
    The same way that members' simultaneous individual classified listings get arbitrarily either merged or deleted?

you'll be wanting to get rid of the 'Guitar Show 2018' in the Playing section.  ;)
    … or the song selection Discussion for the 2021 Western Jam gathering in Events.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    There are 9 in the M&M section, including a 2018 Challenge thread which is, arguably, past its best-before date.
    @roland ?

The issue is that we all skip past the announcements because so many of them are out of date and have become irrelevant.  Then, when something that needs announcing gets announced, we (collectively) don’t bother to look.

Announcements:  new news that you should be aware of.  Default expiry of 2 weeks.  They then get moved to an index thread of past announcements when they become old news.

Index:  a thread of the useful / reference threads so we can find them easily, without them having to be stickied forever.

?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    The same way that members' simultaneous individual classified listings get arbitrarily either merged or deleted?.
    There’s nothing arbitrary about it. This is the biggest moderation role on the forum: dealing with members (generally newcomers) who launch For Sale threads which don’t follow the Classified rules.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Currently there are seven announcement threads at the top of Off Topic, which seems a bit mad to me.  Could announcements perhaps be merged into one "announcements" thread ?  I haven't checked all the other sections but I would imagine a tidy-up is overdue.
    Six of those threads are open for comment. Merging them would prevent readers from following the conversation, and would often lose any reference to which title the comment referred.
    TTony said:

The issue is that we all skip past the announcements because so many of them are out of date and have become irrelevant.  Then, when something that needs announcing gets announced, we (collectively) don’t bother to look.

Announcements:  new news that you should be aware of.  Default expiry of 2 weeks.  They then get moved to an index thread of past announcements when they become old news.
    That may be how it works for you Tony, and for other daily visitors. We have a large number of members who don’t visit as frequently. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    So that's a 'no' then is it ?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    TTony said:
    If the people making the announcements can not be bothered to read them, it is unreasonable to expect anybody else to do so.

Emp_Fab said:
    So, that's a 'no', then, is it?
    You don't seriously expect anyone to read your comment, let alone reply to it, do you?

#stopthequotes
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    You can click on the cog next to them and make them act like normal threads. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    @Emp_FabI only see four at the top of Off Topic, three of which are also at the top of Recent Discussions. Have you got screenshots?

I've pruned Making & Modding down to five, but the remaining ones are all reasonably relevant.

Not the worst idea to have somewhere for old announcements...could start a new category for that. I'll have a think.

TTony said:
    If the people making the announcements can not be bothered to read them, it is unreasonable to expect anybody else to do so.

You may have forgotten that Tony's retired from the admin team ;)
    <space for hire>
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    Come on emp, you just want to dominate the top of the off topic threads so it looks like a weekly ‘emps top ten’. ;)

1) What car should I buy?
    2) Which car should I buy now?
    3) Sunbathing naked after too many ciders.
    4) Met a waitress went weak at the knees.
    5) Scrotal sagging.
    6) Wife needs a car, which one?
    7) Buying cars whilst naked after hitting the cider hard.
    etc, etc, etc
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    This thread should be stickies for future reference. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    OK, I've figured out the problem - 'twas a bug with de-announcing threads. There's a weird condition in the code which - under some circumstances - would just dismiss it for the current user (even though it'd been edited rather than dismissed).

I've sorted that now, shouldn't happen again.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    viz said:
    Thanks didn't know that was a feature. Have a wiz.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4536
    edited July 2023
    viz said:
    Woah.  I never knew that.

EDIT: looks like it works in Recent Discussions only.  But that's still good.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27598

Not the worst idea to have somewhere for old announcements...could start a new category for that. I'll have a think.
    Have a stickied (!) thread at the top of each section called "past announcements" (or similar).  That acts as an index to link to past announcements.  Every time you de-sticky something, add a link to that thread to the top of the index list. 

That way the old announcements stay within the relevant section (rather than being all lumped together).

Some announcements - such as the rules - stay stuck forever.  They'd also then become more noticeable.

You may have forgotten that Tony's retired from the admin team ;)
    That needed a stuck forever sticky
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    OK, I've figured out the problem - 'twas a bug with de-announcing threads. There's a weird condition in the code which - under some circumstances - would just dismiss it for the current user (even though it'd been edited rather than dismissed).

I've sorted that now, shouldn't happen again.
    Yes that's better,  it's gone down to just 3 announcements for me now in recent discussions, from 7 I think. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Naptha is good for removing excess stickiness. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Come on emp, you just want to dominate the top of the off topic threads so it looks like a weekly ‘emps top ten’. ;)

5) Scrotal sagging.
    etc, etc, etc
    I'm hurt.  If I'm not wanted, I'll stop posting.
    Actually - do you know how many threads are mine on the current front page of Off Topic?

None.

Not a single one.

Bitch.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2411

5) Scrotal sagging.
    etc, etc, etc
    DON'T EVEN JOKE.