Rubber bridges

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    barnstorm said:
    WezV said:
    I don't think individual TOM saddles would have enough strength, so I'm thinking of a rubber topper on a solid base.
    Have you seen Jake Wildwood's work? Worth a look for some ideas. The bridges are quite ugly, but they seem to work.

Also saw the other day that someone (didn't register who and it would take ages to go back and find the post!) is making a neatly machined, magnetic, rubber mute that snaps on top of the saddles to achieve the same sort of effect.
    Rubberised magnets like those used in pickups, fridge magnets etc. should do. No?
    Maybe? I don't know what's available off the shelf and how 'shapeable' it is, or how strongly magnetised. This gadget was made to get the rubber pads in the right place with the right downward pressure on the strings, and the whole thing was slim so as not to get in the way of your picking hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    barnstorm said:
    barnstorm said:
    WezV said:
    I don't think individual TOM saddles would have enough strength, so I'm thinking of a rubber topper on a solid base.
    Have you seen Jake Wildwood's work? Worth a look for some ideas. The bridges are quite ugly, but they seem to work.

Also saw the other day that someone (didn't register who and it would take ages to go back and find the post!) is making a neatly machined, magnetic, rubber mute that snaps on top of the saddles to achieve the same sort of effect.
    Rubberised magnets like those used in pickups, fridge magnets etc. should do. No?
    Maybe? I don't know what's available off the shelf and how 'shapeable' it is, or how strongly magnetised. This gadget was made to get the rubber pads in the right place with the right downward pressure on the strings, and the whole thing was slim so as not to get in the way of your picking hand.
    I don't know either, but fair play to you for not dismissing that which you don't know or aren't certain of  ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    archtop bridge 2 - a rubber topper on wooden bridge plate.  I added some basic intonation

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Looking good, sounding better? 
    It still gives the right sound, but obviously allows for more set up adjustment.  

From here I can potentially add a radius to the wooden section, then glue the rubber to that.

The strings cut into the rubber a bit.   Apparently this is okay, some even wanting them fully buried in it.  I'm not sure yet.   I think they may cut less when using the smoother face of the rubber.

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Could you let something into the rubber at the points where the strings contact? Maybe a small diameter dowel. Alternatively harden the contact point with CA glue?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Also, tried laser cutting the rubber.   It didn't quite make it through the full thickness. 

It cuts fine with a sharp knife though, so may stick to that.

Needs to be prettier too.  But the material tests are telling me what I need to do next
    Roland said:
    Could you let something into the rubber at the points where the strings contact? Maybe a small diameter dowel. Alternatively harden the contact point with CA glue?
    Maybe.   I'm curious what will happen if I just flip it upside down and have wood side up.