Waters' DSOTM Redux

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Danny1969 said:
    ... I never liked the solo's in Money so don't really miss them ...

Genuinely one of the most shocking opinions I've read on Fretboard!

You are of course entitled to that opinion, I'm just very very surprised to hear it ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    axisus said:
    Danny1969 said:

You are of course entitled to that opinion, I'm just very very surprised to hear it ....
    I was more shocked by the apostrophe.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    Danny1969 said:

I was more shocked by the apostrophe.
    Me too! I'd like to blame Autocorrect but I'm honestly not certain :/ 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    Oh dear Roger , his heart is in the right place and I did like some of his solo stuff back in the day , I'm not sure about this though. I think he is still caught up on the Pink Floyd thing and probably rightly so as he did write a lot of stuff when in PF , I think him and Dave need to go for a coffee and muffin together .
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Well, as the writer, he's entitled to redo it as a low-key, extra-bile album filler.

But I'll take the energy of the original.

(Thanks for reposting).
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Imo it's awful, he needs to let it go...

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    It's actually quite remarkable that the 2 of them can work together so strongly for the best part of 20 years, then sporadically reconcile & reunite over the next 30 but still have utterly zero clue that the two of them are considerably better than the sum of their individual talents. 

I doubt the problem is that they don't realise that, more that at this point they've both got "fuck you money", and enough bad blood built up that they prefer to say "fuck you" to each other.

Put yourself in either of their shoes- you're already a multi-millionaire, and you can choose to make yourself a few more multi-millions by spending a couple of years arguing with someone you fucking hate. Or you can not. I know what I'd choose.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Christ that’s awful. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    It's out now in complete form, and to be absolutely fair I am listening to it. Some newspapers have been rather positive about it, and, well, cringe.

It sounds not dissimilar to something I might expect from William Shatner, maybe a little better produced sonically.

So far, I don't love it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    edited October 2023
    It's on spotify so i'll chuck it on this afternoon. It's only 5 minutes longer than the original. We'll see how that feels though. 

EDIT: Some live musings while I listen

- Breathe is fine. Would be better if Tom Waits had done it.  
    - On The Run is mostly talking so far. He likes the sound of his own voice, doesn't he? 
    - Time is getting a bit Shatner. And now it's the guitar solo but there isn't one so I'm singing it in my head. The strings and stuff are quite nice I suppose, but there's a reason DG's Strat sold for millions... 
    - Great Gig etc etc. More talking. Someone should explain he's allowed to do a podcast or something if he'd rather. I sung the solo in my head for this one but I'd have happily done it out loud if I wasn't in the office.
    - Money - well we've heard this already. It makes more sense in context but still a struggle...

I've kinda stopped listening actively. The music is still happening, but it's like he's taken out all the hooks... because, well, that's pretty much exactly what he's done. It's also sucked the variation between tracks out of the thing too. It's extremely flat & monotone throughout, with no tension and no light/shade.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    It's on spotify so i'll chuck it on this afternoon. It's only 5 minutes longer than the original. We'll see how that feels though. 

EDIT: Some live musings while I listen

- Breathe is fine. Would be better if Tom Waits had done it.  
    - On The Run is mostly talking so far. He likes the sound of his own voice, doesn't he? 
    - Time is getting a bit Shatner. And now it's the guitar solo but there isn't one so I'm singing it in my head. The strings and stuff are quite nice I suppose, but there's a reason DG's Strat sold for millions... 
    - Great Gig etc etc. More talking. Someone should explain he's allowed to do a podcast or something if he'd rather. I sung the solo in my head for this one but I'd have happily done it out loud if I wasn't in the office.
    - Money - well we've heard this already. It makes more sense in context but still a struggle...

I've kinda stopped listening actively. The music is still happening, but it's like he's taken out all the hooks... because, well, that's pretty much exactly what he's done. It's also sucked the variation between tracks out of the thing too. It's extremely flat & monotone throughout, with no tension and no light/shade.  
    “This should have been a podcast” might be the finest and most accurate review of the album I’ve read so far.