Strymon Timeline into dirty channel of amp....

simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
Recently got rid of my Twin, which I wasn't really getting on with and was way heavy, swapped for an Orange Rocker 30. I had one a while back and was pretty excited to get another.

Back then I was using a Catalinbread Belle Epoch after upgrading from a MXR Carbon Copy and Flashback, which worked great in to the front end of the amp when driven.

I was a bit sceptical this time around using a digital delay into the front of a dirty amp but thought, it's a Strymon that costs £400, it'll handle it no problem, there's enough bloody features in it!

After having an hour and a half to myself earlier, could a get a decent delay that wasn't messy sounding, could I heck?

Monies a bit tight at the mo, so modding the amp to fit an fx loop isn't really on the cards. I love the sound of the dirty channel and I love the timeline but together they're just not gelling like I hoped they would.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's not the amp really, and it's not the pedal. It's just the nature of putting spatial effects into a distortion - it always gets quite messy and smudged. Try bringing down the mix knob to literally 2-5% and see where you're at from there. Failing that.... yep... you need an amp with an FX loop.
  • Yeh that's defo the problem, as I said, I was sceptical about it working but thought for the money and options it would handle it, obviously not!

With the mix that low, in a live situation it won't even be heard, mix needs to be probs 30-40% single repeat to be audible, shame as it's a great amp.

May well be an Orange in the classifieds this week :(
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    I honestly don't think the Strymon does this well if you're not playing out.

However, I'd go a stage further- if you want distorted delay, you need digital delay at the end. Analog delays are muddier and have a drive section ( a lot of them do) so it further muddies it all.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Depends what you want really. I actually prefer the mush, so I plug everything straight into the front of the amp, and I use two delays at once with a reverb as well. Gives me some proper big epic atmospheres with the distortion channel. But it isn't for everyone.

You could try getting a Rockerverb, they have FX loops and are quite similar to the Rocker amps.
  • The main presets I've created more recently have been digital based delays (obviously they are all digital delays in the unit), and they do seem clearer than the analogue or bucket delays.

Even tried the amp cleaner and using a boost in front of the delay but didn't really make much difference tbh.
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited October 2014
    I think something with an fx loop is key here

Cheers guys!