OCtave pedal

mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

A few years ago I had a DOD octave pedal. I got rid due to it needing a weird power supply (IE not a standard centre-neg 9v).

However the unit sounded awesomes (when battery powered).

I've had the Boss ones which didn't sound quite right - actually sounded horrible to my ear....

What octave pedals sound and play nicely without being massively expensive

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2014
    Micro Pog is my choice (great tracking), octave up and octave down.....is that what you need, or are you after double octave down?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Just single octave down. That's what the DOD had, and it sounded awesome into a dirty Marshall. It also worked well with bass.

And despite the booklet saying don't use with chords, sounded fantastic with chords (at least powerchords).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Ehx fork coming out soon... ;)

Did you try an oc2 or oc3? The oc3 sucks. Apparently, the oc2 is a bit glitchy but sounds much nicer - maybe not right for you though.

Or this.

http://www.morpheusguitarpedals.com/droptune.php

Don't know about power for it, just remember hearing it was good at that. Not sure if it does a blended signal either mind...

Had both the OC" and OC3, and both sounded meh/crap.

The Morpheus is an alternative to carrying a second guitar for using a drop-tuning (IIRC).

• The tracking on the Micro Pog is great - I'd say go for that, or wait for some Pitch Fork reviews if you fancy the functionality that has.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    edited October 2014
    The DOD will work fine on a standard power supply with a converter cable - it's only the jack which is different, not the supply polarity.

There is a second generation of these DOD pedals which have a standard power jack, but I'm not sure the Octoplus survived long enough to get it - I can't find any pics of one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That's the kiddie. I wish I'd kept it now.  :((

For me, it was the perfect octave pedal......

• it can be had for £20 - £30 quite often on ebay fella
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I don't have an Evilbay account......