Someone hands you a guitar and says "Play something.."

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    ‘So What’ ..Anti Nowhere League/ Metallica 
    Don’t get asked again, especially at kids parties  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    I was playing at a biggish festival in the South of France a few years ago and there was an after show party with all the musicians etc in the gardens of the organiser's beautiful mountain retreat.

There were some fantastic musicians there and a couple of acoustic guitars were being passed around among some of the continent's best blues and jazz rock artists to great appreciation from everyone, then someone's roadie was given a guitar and he sang and played Won't Get Fooled Again.
    It was more intense and passionate than anything else there and you could hear a pin drop until the end, when the place erupted. 

It doesn't answer the question, but it's always put informal gathering music into a kind of perspective for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16117
    "You've got a friend in me ".......The Toy Story theme by Randy Newman
    I'm an absolutely terrible singer so I like the fact that you can half -speak the words 
    It rings a bell with adults and kids and is quite catchy
    Samba always impresses ..(they invariably hand you the kids nylon unloved guitar ) so Girl from Ipanema 
    Then,once I have their attention I subject them to something a bit more mature like 30 minutes of Villa-Lobos or Segovia (if only )
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16117
    Another half-spoken one is "Mamma told me not to come " ...Sterophonics /Tom Jones version
    quite relevant at a party and fairly easy
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I might be able to perform some of these and look at myself in the mirror afterwards @Danny1969 great playing! 
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    All along the watchtower, Leopardskin pillbox hat, Cocaine blues, if there's a capo Goldwatch blues.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    If I'm singing & no capo, Buckets Of Rain, Blackbird, Don't Cry No Tears or Behind Blue Eyes.
    No singing & chord melody then Darn That Dream or Georgia on My Mind.
    If the room is full of cork sniffers then I'd do Bach BWV1007.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    Sleep Dirt.