What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    breadfan said:
    John_P said:
    I'd like something for adding very slight crunch to a clean sound 
    I'd steer clear of the Cruiser then - it's really fantastic for pushing an already overdriven amp, not so great going into a clean one. Jesse has even said so himself. 
    thorpy6 said:
    I like to run a treble booster into it and it gives me some amazing 60/70s rock sounds.
    Could you do this at low volume?

How responsive are the Kingsley pedals at very low volume?

I find them to be very responsive at low volume, they are designed to give you the overdriven cranked sound of a tube amp but in pedal form, best pedal I have bar none. I also have the palisades and that's great to, but..... It's defiently a pedal and sounds like one.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Double post, my bad
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I agree with Casper. The VL effects of one vintage is by far the most beautiful overdrive ive ever played, I only play into a clean amp as I play at home but it adds a beautiful warmth and sparkle to the tone that ive not encountered in any other pedal. Ive had a cruiser which is on your list and the VL is so much more versatile right through the gain range, has a gorgeous crunch at higher gain settings. It really is stunning!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    @gassage is the KOT for sale ? I am on the KOT list April 14 so am probably due soon just had a look on the website again ref options. What spec is yours?
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    thorpy6 said:
    breadfan said:
    thorpy6 said:
    I like to run a treble booster into it and it gives me some amazing 60/70s rock sounds.
    Could you do this at low volume?

How responsive are the Kingsley pedals at very low volume?

I find them to be very responsive at low volume, they are designed to give you the overdriven cranked sound of a tube amp but in pedal form, best pedal I have bar none. I also have the palisades and that's great to, but..... It's defiently a pedal and sounds like one.
    Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear - I'm moving to an apartment soon & I'll not be able to crank my amp there. I just need to decide which Kingsley now..

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited October 2014
    John_P said:
    I'm thinking of adding another drive pedal (Currently using a pinnacle, riot, zendrive). 

I'm torn between adding a Cornish CC1, Klon KTR, Lazy J cruiser or a Kingsley Jester.

I know they all sound different and it's not a straight which is the best but I like the sound of all of them and I can't decide which to get. I'd like something for adding very slight crunch to a clean sound (fender twin or evh 5153) and for stacking onto mid/high gain sounds to help thicken and make it sing even more.

I know they'll all do a great job but I'd love ot hear any long term user reports or thoughts on them.

I've owned all the pedals you list except the PC so I can't speak on that behalf. Klons excel as a booster at the start of your chain. If your looking to goose other OD pedals whilst thickening your tone I've not found anything better. The Lazy J is the most transparent of what you've listed. It seems to leave your tone alone but add a nice tweed crunch to the upper harmonics - I've tried 3 Cruisers over the years but ended up moving them on as there's no tone shaping controls. I have owned a Kingsley Jester and I currently own a Minstrel. These are the most amp like overdrive pedals I've played or heard. As others have said they are a channel of an amp in a box. Considering the engineering and components inside I believe they're actually value for money. I gave the Minstrel the nod over the Jester sonically (can't really remember why now - it was a while back I had them side by side) but it's also a much smaller footprint. I want to try some dumble stuff now and the PC stuff too so my Minstrel is currently FS.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Had a Jouster, Juggler, Page and still have a Jester. Of those i would say the Jester will be what you're after, adding some dirt to a clean amp at lowish volume. Perfect for that. The Page is a great low-gainer but it's very low gain and doesn't do owt else. The Jester will get you from low to high and all points between. There's one for sale on the forum IIRC. That said, if you don't need a clean boost as well, don't hesitate to snag that Minstrel for sale here. Same thing really.

• If you want a light drive nothing compares to the Liquid Sunshine in my book and it stacks with everything.
    A compressor in front of it with gentle compression and a little volume boost sounds absolutely amazing. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17904
    tFB Trader
    If you want a light drive nothing compares to the Liquid Sunshine in my book and it stacks with everything.
    A compressor in front of it with gentle compression and a little volume boost sounds absolutely amazing. 
    I use mine with an SP Comp and it's lovely. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9715
    @bbblues - that Minstrel still here ?
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Wazmeister;379328" said:
    @bbblues - that Minstrel still here ?
    Just gone unfortunately.