How to use the Advanced Search function

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4526
edited July 2023 in Help & Feedback
So, I've been having a play, and I think I've finally got my head round how some of this works.  (Although I'm still not convinced it all works quite as expected, so more research is needed!)

The first thing is to access the the Advanced Search.  The easiest way is probably to search as normal, then click Adv Search at the top of the results.

Most of the options are fairly straightforward.  The forum picker is quite useful to narrow your search down to a particular section.  You can also Ctrl + click to select multiple sections, or to deselect one.  When using the Advanced Search, it works best if you use the indicated Search button.

To use the special operators, the important thing is to select Extended, as shown.

Search examples

Click the example links then the Search button to see the results!

EDIT: the forum software changed some of the syntax into clickable "@" tags when I posted. 

OR operator

Syntax: Gibson | Stratocaster

Finds posts containing either Gibson or Stratocaster (or both).  Click for example.

NOT operator

Syntax: Gibson !Stratocaster

Finds posts containing Gibson but not StratocasterClick for example.

Exact Phrase

Syntax: "Gibson Stratocaster"

Finds posts containing the exact phrase Gibson StratocasterClick for example.

User search

Syntax: @user Jonathangus

Finds posts by the specified user.  Click for example.

Title search

Syntax: @title Imgur

Finds posts containing the specified word in the title.  Click for example.

Body search 

(Stop laughing at the back.)

Syntax: @body needs a Bigsby

Finds posts containing the specified words in the body of the thread (although not necessarily in the right order).  Click for example.

Combinations

Syntax: @user Jonathangus @title Imgur

Finds posts by the specified user with the specified words in the title.  
Click for example.

Syntax: @body "needs a Bigsby"

Finds posts containing the exact phrase in the body of the thread.  Click for example.  (Although I only get three results, which I know can't be right!)

Quorum Matching

Syntax: "Harley Benton pickup swap Les Paul"/4

Finds posts containing any four of the specified words.  Click for example.
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments