Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheapest amp that will stay clean at band volume

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    samzadgan said:
    interesting...i kind of thought that comparison of the fender wouldn't hold true since both JC120 and the cube are solid state...so reproducing it should be easier...but i guess cost cutting etc applies to solid state too.

but yeah the JC setting is really good on the cube as is the Dynamic Amp setting…
    It's not really the cost cutting as such - it's the much smaller power supply, tiny little IC power module, much smaller, lighter cabinet and 10" speaker - although even the Cube 60 with a 12" isn't a patch on the old ones.

The difference between valve and solid-state is actually less important, to me (at least for clean sounds). You simply can't reproduce the tone of a decent discrete-component analogue power amp and a big solid cabinet and speakers with a much smaller modeller… in my opinion. I think this is a major reason I don't rate the Cubes at all - I grew up listening to players with JCs and there really is no comparison.

Even the little JC55 2x8" has a fuller tone than the Cubes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12667
    Peavey Renown, I had one for gigging 20 odd years ago, damn loud and clean.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    Yep, it's a damn shame my peavey bandit doesnt stay clean when it's loud
  • You guys missed a bargain (as did I, I could have gone for a stereo rig ...) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-World-Series-120R-Combo-Amp-Guitar-Amplifier-/160987042316

(not mine).

Anyway - Another vote here for the mighty Laney World Series. Go 2x12 or go home ... (in all honesty, I've just never tried the 1x12 or the head).

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    You guys missed a bargain (as did I, I could have gone for a stereo rig ...) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-World-Series-120R-Combo-Amp-Guitar-Amplifier-/160987042316
    Good lord. The speakers are worth that *each*. Even if they're the HHs probably...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 644

Roland Cube. I've got a 60 and the 80XL - both are plenty loud enough to stay clean over our drummer, who makes Animal from the Muppets look restrained!

The Cubes have line outs too in case you need a bit of help from the PA. I've never needed to though.

• I've just bought a laney cub 12 for £199
    Valve and seems pretty loud - all the reviews said plenty loud enough to get over a drummer in rehersale- mic up for gigs, and has a <1w mode for playing at home- been perfect for me so far
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 644
    piercelmno;379107" said:
    I've just bought a laney cub 12 for £199Valve and seems pretty loud - all the reviews said plenty loud enough to get over a drummer in rehersale- mic up for gigs, and has a
    I had a Laney Cub Head running through a very efficient 1x12 (Eminence Wizard) and it would not do loud enough cleans to get over the above mentioned drummer un-miced. Dirty, yes-clean, no. Both Cubes would do it clean.