Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheapest amp that will stay clean at band volume

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
I'm looking for a cheap amp (as cheap as possible,solid state is fine) that will stay clean at band volumes to act as a second channel to my Friedman, i tried using my Micro Terror, which will get plenty loud but breaks up too much at volume.

Pristine Fender warm valve cleans are not what i need, just clean clean and loud.

I seem to remember the old Valvestate Marshalls stayed clean up loud.

Any other ideas ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Old valvestate, Peavey Bandit, Fender Frontman.

For a bit more wedge an HRD or a Classic 50. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Roland Cube?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    edited October 2014
    That Peavey Special someone on here got for £20 is the winner, but they do usually sell for a bit more than that!

Otherwise, Laney World Series 120 probably. A tiny bit louder and cleaner than a Valvestate 8080/VS100 or a Bandit, and usually even cheaper.

Or an 80s Carlsbro Stingray, if you don't mind something physically bigger and heavy. I literally gave away the last couple of those the shop had to a charity music project, no-one wanted them at any price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    hubobulous;376673" said:
    Roland Cube?
    This...and i have a 40w for sale
  • Peavey Bandit (the one with transtube technology) will start to break up at band volumes as it's designed like that. Of course it's not going to be metal distortion, but cleans will be driven. Nevertheless, best amps for the price.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    No put-down intended at all, but I think some of us have very different ideas of what "stay clean" and "band volume" mean... in both directions!

To me, a 40W Roland Cube will not, and a Peavey Bandit easily will - and I do like my cleans truly clean. But a lot of it depends on how 'solid' or 'big' the sound is, as well as the outright volume - that's where a lot of smaller amps fall down, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Completely right...volume is subjective. In a blues or pop type band where you have a relatively soft hitting drummer i think the cube 40 would stay clean.

In a more rockier band with louder and harder drumming, yes, in that case you are going to need a bigger amp for the headroom.

As i always say...when in doubt...Laney...in this case the world series, even the LV100 is ok, just depends if you dig the tone of those.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    EHX 44 Magnum?
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    The other option is to just buy a poweramp as i have anither cab and a preamp that does the sound i need, but even the valvestate stuff seems to be dearer than a whole amp

you may not even need a power amp...just adding more cabs would raise the volume...more speakers = moorrreee
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    Fender Stage 160. The clean channel actually sounds good, too.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Any of the decent wattage Fender red knob solid state amps from the 80's do the loud clean thing very well indeed, and are usually stupidly cheap.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    The alternative is to use my stereo 4x12 split between 2 heads, then i don't have to carry another cab/amp. I have the radial switcher that kills ground loops and has the phase switch

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    i hear they are going to be making a 2 channel taco!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    Sessionette 75
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Fender Stage 160. The clean channel actually sounds good, too.
    I will raise you the Peavey Renown. Depending on version, up to 210W of stupidly loud, fairly good-sounding clean power :). One of the only truly clean sounds that has ever made my eyes water...

Fuzzdog said:
    Any of the decent wattage Fender red knob solid state amps from the 80's do the loud clean thing very well indeed, and are usually stupidly cheap.
    That's actually what I was thinking of about "different definitions of loudness" - I had to play through a Deluxe 85 once, which on paper at 65W and with a 12" speaker should have been enough... but it wasn't, not because it wasn't "loud" but because it broke up in a very unmusical way when I tried to run a fairly heavy-sounding overdrive through it.

I agree the even bigger ones (the Stage 160 and the Ultimate Chorus, basically)  are enough though.

• Peavey special or peavey bandit.

Yes they will break up when you crank them (and in a genuinely nice way, watch intheblues play his at volume) but I very much doubt you'll need it to be that loud!

The special is a beast.

@bigjon uses a Laney, and gets excellent sounds out of it. Another amp that can be stupid cheap.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Potentially selling a Fender Studio Lead SS combo if you're anywhere near Birmingham, does loud 'n' clean very well indeed...
    there's a Peavey Stereo Chorus for sale on here too which would do it, but it looks heavy!

• Lez325Lez325 Frets: 95
    I have a Fender Performer 650 combo- clean enough at the top end

Les