Gibson certified vintage - I was right all along!!

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 17259
edited July 2023 in Guitar
I've been saying on forums for the last 20 years that I believed the corvus/futura shape was supposed to be a headless guitar. 

They have just put the futura prototype up for sale, and it's headless!

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/page/GCVP0013-1981-Futura-Prototype

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 122
    That looks more like half a head than headless. The design does make more sense than the final version though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    Sold 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17259
    rhinofeet said:
    That looks more like half a head than headless. The design does make more sense than the final version though 
    Yeah, I guess they hadn't got as far as rethinking. truss rod access

Sold 
    They only posted it on Instagram 2 hours ago
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    Can you remember how much it was?

edited July 2023
    A production futura (corvus has a bolt on neck and no contours)

Vs the prototype

I know people hate the flying can opener, but it's clear from this prototype they were well ahead of their time in terms of ergonomic guitar design. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Can you remember how much it was?

No, I missed that bit
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4827
    Not only is it headless, its also fucking horrible.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    It is, and the production version is even worse because it makes no sense.  

But even so, I did make this template a few weeks ago

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also, I find it interesting from a Gibson History point of view.

Steinberger started in 1979.  Gibson purchased them in 1987.  Clearly they were paying attention to Ned from the start.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1766
    edited July 2023
    They did the machine heads and body cut out like on a BC Rich Bich 10 string!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, with just 4 tuners on the body.  Released in 1979
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20192
    WezV said:
    rlw said:
    It is, and the production version is even worse because it makes no sense.  

But even so, I did make this template a few weeks ago

You are clearly a Witch. Or possibly a Warlock... Either way, Burn Him!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 121
    WezV said:
    Yeah, with just 4 tuners on the body.  Released in 1979

Rodger Giffin made a similar headless guitar with the machine heads on the body in 1976.
    It can be seen on his website in the vintage gallery section

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24739
    Trogly's spoken about this in a few videos, that the "can opener" bit was originally intended as the home for the tuners.  I don't know why they abandoned the idea - cost probably, but maybe assumptions about the conservatism of their customers.

I've never seen the prototype before, though.  That little vestigial headstock looks revolting.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73956
    I think it, and particularly the headstock, looks fantastic - from the back. It really does look like a bird in flight - I always thought that was where the ‘Corvus’ name came from - but actually more like a black swan than a crow, with the long thin neck. The head shape is perfect in that context.

The effect is somewhat ruined from the front by the pickguard though, and especially the clumsy way it goes under the top strings, as well as being far too large for just two knobs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2023
    Honestly, I thought it was an internet myth I had a hand in starting over on the project forum guitar years ago.  

I've never seen another source that Gibson actually did it which didn't link back to that.   

The forum did a corvus build off in 2009, and a few headless versions were made.   The challenge was to take the worst Gibson design and make something good with it. I didn't actually build one... but i designed an updated guitar and bass version.
    ICBM said:
    I think it, and particularly the headstock, looks fantastic - from the back. It really does look like a bird in flight - I always thought that was where the ‘Corvus’ name came from - but actually more like a black swan than a crow, with the long thin neck. The head shape is perfect in that context.

The bird in flight is with its beak pointing down forming the treble side horn, ,more like a hawk than a crow.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73956
    WezV said:

The bird in flight is with its beak pointing down forming the treble side horn, ,more like a hawk than a crow.
    Interesting how we see it differently, but both like birds... I get something like this:

In that context the mini-head shape is perfect. The production version headstock is much more crow-like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32354
    rhinofeet said:
    That looks more like half a head than headless. 
    True, but due to customer demand they had to leave a bit you could snap off. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom